Classic Picture House - fizhallam square

Can anyone remember the classic picture

house in fitzhallam square? Anyone know where I can find pictures of it?

------------------http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Wigfallsinsq_zps1b0956c6.jpg

Hiya Alanradcliff, Sending you pictures of Classic cinama, the

old News Theatre Fitzalan sq.

In the 1950s i went to see Rob Roy at the news theatre and while

queuing outside they were knocking rest of Marples pub down from

the the Bomb blasts. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 20:46 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Wigfallsinsq_zps1b0956c6.jpg

Heres you picture Alanradcliff, didn't work first time.

Hope you like.

:bigsmile:Hi,

My dad was projectionist and mum was an usherette at the Classic in the 1970's to not long before it closed/burned down:sad:

I also worked there in the school holidays:)

I remember when the Disney film "Spaceman and King Arthur" was released, we all dressed up and paraded through town, my dad as King Arthur on a massive white horse (he'd never been on a horse in his life!!) and I had curled his hair under with my curling tongues:hihi:

as someone said, the Induz was below the Cinema (to the left as you look at it) and we all regularly went down there after closing where we would have Chicken and Chips, my dad was the only one who would have Curry (none of us would touch that foreign muck:suspect::hihi:).

It's great to see some of the old pics, sadly dad passed away in 1986 and we don't have any pictures of that time any longer:(

OP: Thanks for this thread, it has stirred up some really nice memories for me

:bigsmile:

I saw many films at the classic remember going to an all night showing of Dr Strangelove and some other films and heard a sound looked down and several mice were walking down the heating pipes this was about 77/78 time still had a good night though.

The Indus was the best Indian restaurant in Sheffield at the time bar none.

on my first visit ,recommended my a work mate,i had the best t-bone steak ever ,it overhung the big oval plate my at least three inches and was delicious.

We gradually progressed on to the Indian menu and the "Indus special shish kebab" became a firm favorite, we have tried numerous Indians since but have never found food as good anywhere.

In the early seventies a t-bone steak platefull was one pound fifteen pence,those were the days my friend.If i had a one chance only to use a time machine it would be used to stop the fire above that destroyed it.

Happy hippy days.

Archived