Heres One For You All

ok, today i was out on my motorbike, 4 years i have been riding and been to many petrol stations as you will agree over 4 years it will have been plenty, i have seen numerous motorcyclist sitting down while filling up and im sure you will have seen the same thing, the reason this is, is to stabalise the bike in a central position while filling up to avoid knocking the bike over. i was refused petrol today as "it was company policy" to dismount from my bike. i refused as it was unstable to leave the bike on the sidestand and fill up.

am i right in what im doing and is there actually a "policy" for getting off? if there is should it be signposted on the pumps? tell me your opinions please

I've been riding 7 years, filling up sat on the bike every time and have never been told to dismount either. Company policy should be next to the pump. What petrol station was it?

exactly my point mate, it was norfolk park petrol station on east bank road. he got a polite little 9000 rpm rev bomb haha

I work in a petrol station and in our training, it says we ARE supposed to ask the rider to dismount. But we never do!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 14:25 ----------

Probably because they think you might do a quick splash and dash, drive off without paying.

No, it's not because of that. It's some daft health and safety reason. Just incase the bike happens to catch fire. Obviously, theres more chance of the rider being injured if he/she are still sat on the bike.

Probably because they think you might do a quick splash and dash, drive off without paying.

Could you not have used the centre stand?

i fing it hard to put it on center stand when they have black mats next to pt pump, it makes it more prone to tipping

also i had my helmet on the pump so i wasnt going anywhere fast

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 14:28 ----------

I work in a petrol station and in our training, it says we ARE supposed to ask the rider to dismount. But we never do!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 14:25 ----------

No, it's not because of that. It's some daft health and safety reason. Just incase the bike happens to catch fire. Obviously, theres more chance of the rider being injured if he/she are still sat on the bike.

so they should ask a family to get out of a car then just in case it catches fire? surely that make sense to health and safety too?

if there is should it be signposted on the pumps

If we put all of our policies and rules on the pump, customers would be stood there for half an hour reading them all before they filled up! But customers take no notice of the signs that are on there anyway! Some of the rules we have are just silly and i feel like an idiot when i have to enforce them! But it's just the company trying to cover themselves for every eventuality.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 14:31 ----------

so they should ask a family to get out of a car then just in case it catches fire? surely that make sense to health and safety too

I agree with you that getting off the bike is a silly rule. I've never asked anyone to dismount before authorising their pump. I never ask people to remove their helmets either, i don't see the point.

If we put all of our policies and rules on the pump, customers would be stood there for half an hour reading them all before they filled up! But customers take no notice of the signs that are on there anyway! Some of the rules we have are just silly and i feel like an idiot when i have to enforce them! But it's just the company trying to cover themselves for every eventuality.

if its there it should be signposted, its not hard for a biker to see a sign that says "please dismount" in bold letters, rather than a guy behind the counter shouting at you when youve done nothing wrong?

if its there it should be signposted, its not hard for a biker to see a sign that says "please dismount" in bold letters, rather than a guy behind the counter shouting at you when youve done nothing wrong?

I don't make the rules (or the signs)! I just work there!

I don't make the rules (or the signs)! I just work there!

Common problem for petrol station attendants isn't it?

Get shouted at by customers for following stupid company policy.

Get shouted at by boss for not following stupid company policy.

Just like the rules on mobile phone usage on the forecourt.

Archived