Cameron calls for knighthood for Andy Murray

Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?

Take a look at the list of people who have been knighted and see how many of them you consider do truly deserve it.

Considering Murray won a gold medal at the Olympics, the US open and now Wimbledon I think he's got a half decent case.

I will now take this time to remind you of the 2006 Labour 'Cash for Honours' scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_for_Honours

In 2006 the Sunday Times newspaper revealed that every donor who had given £1,000,000 or more to the Labour Party since 1997 was given a Knighthood or a Peerage. On top of this, the government had given honours to 12 of the 14 individuals who have given Labour more than £200,000 and of the 22 who donated more than £100,000, 17 received honours. An investigation by the Crown Prosecution Service did not lead to any charges being made.

Gongs like these should only go to people whose work in the community goes unrecognised.

They shoudn't go to friends of politicians or PMs (of which ever party) eager to cash in on the success of sports people.

"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.

But Murray said: "It's a nice thing to have or be offered but I don't know if it merits that."

From here.

Even Andy Murray's not overly excited by the idea of Andy Murray getting a knighthood...

From here.

Even Andy Murray's not overly excited by the idea of Andy Murray getting a knighthood...

Good for him. Although some people unfairly criticise him for being grumpy, I admire him just for being himself and not pretending to be something that he isn't

No he shouldn't get a knighthood, and is Cameron brain dead "he's lifted the spirits of the whole country". No he hasn't, what is he on FGS; he won a tennis match for which he would have been well rewarded, okay he's won Wimbledon wait till he's done it at least 3 times.

considering who they give knighthoods to these days i wouldn't have a problem with andy murray getting one but i think they are given out too frequently and too soon to sports people

i could be wrong but i suspect tony blair started the modern trend

i'd much rather it was awarded at the end of their career rather than the beginning

considering who they give knighthoods to these days i wouldn't have a problem with andy murray getting one but i think they are given out too frequently and too soon to sports people

i could be wrong but i suspect tony blair started the modern trend

i'd much rather it was awarded at the end of their career rather than the beginning

Like I said yesterday they are given out in lucky bags now, it's stupid.

I think Andy Murray should be exiled to somewhere like Rockall for at least 30 years------so that we don 't have our media swamped by 'news' from Wimbledon, repeated ad nauseum until we feel like throwing ourselves under a tennis ball.

The BBC in particular seem to go completely gaga about sport-----hour after hour, day after day, week after week of mind-numbing sport. They even had the cheek to say that the nation would be watching the Wimbledon Men 's Final ! Well, a few thousand were actually at Wimbledon and I suppose a few million Couch Idlers watched it too but millions more were perhaps actually DOING something ??

On top of all that Andy Murray must be the most charmless champion of any sport, ever ! He makes Gordon Brown look like Max Miller.

He should be given a knighthood if he inspires a new generation of sporting stars (not just tennis players). However at the moment there is a lot of euphoria in the media; we need to wait and see the long term picture. We want to see another British Wimbledon champion, but defeating another Brit in the final.

Archived