Cameron calls for knighthood for Andy Murray

Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?

If there is a Sir Bradley Wiggens, Sir Nick Faldo, Sir Chris Hoy, Sir Steve Redgrave et al, it follows that there is a very strong argument for a Sir Andy Murray.

I agree. The list of sporting knighthoods includes most sports, but tennis is glaringly empty. Perhaps not yet, but I think it will happen. He's achieved more in tennis than any other British player for generations. Two grand slams and two Olympic medals (gold & silver) in the space of a year isn't to be sniffed at.

However, I can't imagine being knighted is top of Murray's agenda, he's far too grounded IMO.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 17:58 ----------

For whacking a ball with a bat !

Worlds gone mad if this happens.

No more mad than whacking a ball with a golf club, or pedalling hard. ;)

If Cameron wants Murray to receive a Knighthood, then no doubt, Murray will be knighted. - Prime Ministers have a long record of getting people knighted and soomehow, I doubt that there are many instances of Prime Ministers being told to bugger off and don't cheapen the honour.

If Cameron really can't think of anybody who deserves a knighthood more than does Murray, then what the hell is he doing running the country?

Can he really not think of anybody who has sacrificed himself to serve his or her fellow-countrymen?

Murray is a dedicated (and talented) tennis player who worked hard to achieve his personal goals. He did so - and most of us are probably very pleased that he did so.

He won a tennis match. Does Cameron really think that winning a Tennis match merits a knighthood?

If Murray (probably a pretty good sportsman) was to go off and play in a football team which won a game, and if he was to take up snooker and win a few games there, what honour should he receive?

Should he be declared to be the new Patron Saint of Scotland?

Should he be given a TV show on 31 December (OK, so that's been done before with another Andy Murray, but you could always do it again.)

I see Cameron is calling for Andy Murray to receive a knighthood. Personally I think that MBE's, OBE's etc. are given out too freely, a knighthood for doing something you are extremely well paid for that you enjoy.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5003279/Cameron-calls-for-knighthood-for-Murray.html

Why is it that we are so hung up on celebrity worship? from the spectacle of Princess Dianas funeral to now wanting a tennis player knighted (both fabulously wealthy by the way)..................are we all living in chavland or what?

If Cameron wants Murray to receive a Knighthood, then no doubt, Murray will be knighted. - Prime Ministers have a long record of getting people knighted and soomehow, I doubt that there are many instances of Prime Ministers being told to bugger off and don't cheapen the honour.

If Cameron really can't think of anybody who deserves a knighthood more than does Murray, then what the hell is he doing running the country?

Can he really not think of anybody who has sacrificed himself to serve his or her fellow-countrymen?

Murray is a dedicated (and talented) tennis player who worked hard to achieve his personal goals. He did so - and most of us are probably very pleased that he did so.

He won a tennis match. Does Cameron really think that winning a Tennis match merits a knighthood?

If Murray (probably a pretty good sportsman) was to go off and play in a football team which won a game, and if he was to take up snooker and win a few games there, what honour should he receive?

Should he be declared to be the new Patron Saint of Scotland?

Should he be given a TV show on 31 December (OK, so that's been done before with another Andy Murray, but you could always do it again.)

To be fair, I think that to be ranked the second best person on the planet at something, and win things at the same time would merit a little better praise. He is our best ever tennis player of the professional era, by a long long way.

considering who they give knighthoods to these days i wouldn't have a problem with andy murray getting one but i think they are given out too frequently and too soon to sports people

i could be wrong but i suspect tony blair started the modern trend

i'd much rather it was awarded at the end of their career rather than the beginning

Didn't Harold Wilson give Marcia Falkender a peerage for services in his bedroom?

Archived