Cameron calls for knighthood for Andy Murray

Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?

I see Cameron is calling for Andy Murray to receive a knighthood. Personally I think that MBE's, OBE's etc. are given out too freely, a knighthood for doing something you are extremely well paid for that you enjoy.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5003279/Cameron-calls-for-knighthood-for-Murray.html

One time of day gongs were given to people who had been working for the community in many different ways from the lollipop school crossing man to heads of charities nurses doctors etc they all worked to help the other person,all Murry has done is line his own pocket.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 19:58 ----------

If there is a Sir Bradley Wiggens, Sir Nick Faldo, Sir Chris Hoy, Sir Steve Redgrave et al, it follows that there is a very strong argument for a Sir Andy Murray.

It is a very strong argument yes, but for a total overhaul of the honors system non of the mentioned deserve a medal.

To be fair, I think that to be ranked the second best person on the planet at something, and win things at the same time would merit a little better praise. He is our best ever tennis player of the professional era, by a long long way.
But he has his reward...............millions of pounds,for playing tennis, why a knighthood? People of this country died in aircrcraft ,tanks and ships and on land not all that long ago and got nothing!...........lets try for some level of perspective!

But he has his reward...............millions of pounds,for playing tennis, why a knighthood?

Well I'd say because he is recognised around the world and an ambassador for this country in a way that the guy who picks tab ends out of the gents urinal on the Moor probably isn't.

Generally speaking many of the folk who are nominated for peerages probably will be wealthy. It comes from being successful in their chosen field.

But he has his reward...............millions of pounds,for playing tennis, why a knighthood? People of this country died in aircrcraft ,tanks and ships and on land not all that long ago and got nothing!...........lets try for some level of perspective!

And he's probably very happy and content with his rewards, remember he's not asked for anything. If others want to recognise his achievements who is he to say one way or another, until there is an official offer; then he can decide if it is appropriate to accept it or not.

But he has his reward...............millions of pounds,for playing tennis, why a knighthood? People of this country died in aircrcraft ,tanks and ships and on land not all that long ago and got nothing!..........lets try for some level of perspective!
Yes lets get it into perspective. This is about being honoured for a great sports achievement, like it or not we have a sports category in the honours list.

When the knighthoods to disgraced bankers are removed, they might have some merit.

Whilst people who ruin the country whilst negotiating their pension payments are called "Sir" then nobody should should even want to join that poisonous club.

British when he wins a match, Scottish when he loses

That has always been the case. In reality my bet is that he does not care if he gets knighted or not. He is an excellent competitor and won a hard fought match, in the end, rather easily. I watched the match the whole way through. I saw Cameron paying lip service to the match.

Murray is a man who fought his way to the top.

Cameron is a boy whose parents handed it to him on a plate.:)

Archived