Cameron calls for knighthood for Andy Murray

Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Murray receive a knighthood?

I agree. The list of sporting knighthoods includes most sports, but tennis is glaringly empty. Perhaps not yet, but I think it will happen. He's achieved more in tennis than any other British player for generations. Two grand slams and two Olympic medals (gold & silver) in the space of a year isn't to be sniffed at.

However, I can't imagine being knighted is top of Murray's agenda, he's far too grounded IMO.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 17:58 ----------

No more mad than whacking a ball with a golf club, or pedalling hard. ;)

To compare the Tour de France with any ball game is like comparing playing Tiddly winks to the Times crossword.

Although the whole Knighthood rigmerole is daft, I mean one being on this Earth tapping another on the shoulder with a sword and saying arise sir Tosspot you are now better than the rest of mankind is crackers.

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 08:51 ----------

Not as much as john burkill [the pram man] has done.:)

John should have a star on the pavement outside the Town Hall .

But hasn't Tony Robinson done a lot of work for charity as well as services to tv?

Apart from working on tv ,and getting paid,how has he provided a "service to tv" is a load of cobblers.

To compare the Tour de France with any ball game is like comparing playing Tiddly winks to the Times crossword.

I can't work out which sport is Tiddly Winks and which is the Times crossword, so your argument needs a lot of work.

Which sport is the most difficult, and why?

And she didn't even get a damehood ... Sarah Virginia Wade, OBE (born 10 July 1945) is a British former tennis player. She won three Grand Slam singles championships and four Grand Slam doubles championships, and is the only British woman in history to have won titles at all four Grand Slam tournaments. She was ranked as high as No. 2 in the world in singles, and No. 1 in the world in doubles. She won the women's singles championship at Wimbledon on 1 July 1977, in that tournament's centenary year, and was the last British tennis player to have won a Grand Slam singles tournament until Andy Murray won the US Open in 2013.

Just saying...

A nice tribute, and a reminder of a great tennis achievement that rarely gets a mention these days!

But now we have another sporting hero and aside from the knighthood issue, we have had a day of media publicity where just for once a gloomy depressing event wasn't the major news story for a change.

Yet unlike in the past it would seem that so many people don't appear to want to hear about something that is capable of producing a temporary boost to the nation, they would rather only hear about the gloomy stuff.

I'd much rather it was awarded at the end of their career rather than the beginning.

That sums up my thoughts too. It's a bit soon and quite tacky for the prime minister to be calling for Murray to be knighted so soon. Who knows what the rest of his career might hold, perhaps he will go on to win Wimbledon three times in a row like Fred Perry did amongst his many other titles.

I just looked it up and Fred Perry never received any honours for his achievements. Nothing.

Hasn't been re-named 'the Ryanair Tour de France'? - the geography is about as good as that of Ryanair.

Although the whole Knighthood rigmerole is daft, I mean one being on this Earth tapping another on the shoulder with a sword and saying arise sir Tosspot you are now better than the rest of mankind is crackers.

But knighthoods were never about saying: "Arise Sir Tosspot, you are now better than the rest of mankind." - they were about saying: "Arise, Sir Tosspot - and thanks for all the things you've done for me (Prime MInister)/ your country/for the government/ for keeping your mouth shut when you could've dropped the government (Or me) in it etc."

Winning a tennis match is a pretty neat thing to do - but it's hardly in the same league as keeping your mouth shut and not dropping the government in it, is it?

I agree that knighthoods (and the other honours) are probably all outdated - but that problem was caused when politicians cheapened them.

Before they were cheapened in the eyes of the world, they were a cheap way of 'rewarding' worthy people (should've been popular in Sheffield)

Not people who were good at sports.

Archived