Taxis from other towns working in Sheffield

And rather than give a road name, you start directing...........

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 16:44 ----------

They do, once or twice every year depending on age of the vehicle, with frequent spot checks.

And it's private hire vehicle ( not taxi ).

They ask for the destination when you ring to book - when they pick you up, its on the screen.

Hardly my fault some drivers are so thick they have to ask for directions.

They ask for the destination when you ring to book - when they pick you up, its on the screen.

Hardly my fault some drivers are so thick they have to ask for directions.

Yes they do ask when you book but it's not always on the drivers screen and even when it is a) you could have changed your destination b) maybe its the right st but the wrong area c) a similar sounding st d) completely wrong info. So it's always best to clarify

Listen carefully, they are not always asking for directions they are clarifying your destination and your preferred route.

Like I said earlier giving directions makes you feel in control.

Yes they do ask when you book but it's not always on the drivers screen and even when it is a) you could have changed your destination b) maybe its the right st but the wrong area c) a similar sounding st d) completely wrong info. So it's always best to clarify

Listen carefully, they are not always asking for directions they are clarifying your destination and your preferred route.

Like I said earlier giving directions makes you feel in control.

Is there really a Sheffield "knowledge" test (similar to the one London cabbies have to pass)?!

I have to say , the vast majority of Sheffield taxis (private hire AND black cab) seem to have no idea where they are going...

If they do they get a tip...if they dont - they dont !

I totally agree, private hire vehicle is not a Taxi, A Hackney is a Taxi, whether this is a black cab or a black and white cab. I think all Private hire vehicles should be one colour, that way people know whether they are using a Taxi or a private hire vehicle. Plus this would help public safety.

I've seen in many other areas that the private hire cars have bonnet/boot-lids sprayed a specific colour, regardless of the colour of the car.

TBH I think it's a good idea in principle. It immediately distinguishes a private hire 'taxi' from an ordinary private vehicle.

It could even be taken as far as different towns having differing paint-work designs, similar to football team strips.

---------- Post added 11-07-2013 at 14:15 ----------

Is there really a Sheffield "knowledge" test (similar to the one London cabbies have to pass)?!

I have to say , the vast majority of Sheffield taxis (private hire AND black cab) seem to have no idea where they are going...

If they do they get a tip...if they dont - they dont !

Most of them seem to rely on Sat Nav from my experience. Which is an issue when you get to where I live as the sat nav always wants to take an unnecessarily long route, practically circling my road first. There are 3 'entrances' to my road. Sat navs seem to think only one exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Seem to be plenty of hacks working for private hire companies picking up flag downs during tramlines and every other weekend,acting totally illegally.Absolutely no enforcement by our beloved Sheffield city council!.

I often wonder why I should continue to do everything correctly when so many get away with illegality.All that cctv to monitor and yet no attempt to keep the travelling public safe.Why do they want us to have cctv in our cabs when they themselves refuse to use theirs?.

Seem to be plenty of hacks working for private hire companies picking up flag downs during tramlines and every other weekend,acting totally illegally.Absolutely no enforcement by our beloved Sheffield city council!.

I often wonder why I should continue to do everything correctly when so many get away with illegality.All that cctv to monitor and yet no attempt to keep the travelling public safe.Why do they want us to have cctv in our cabs when they themselves refuse to use theirs?.

If you were that concerned then maybe you should have noted the time and place this was occurring, along with the taxi plate number and report it to the relevant department.

I have no doubt that it was happening however.

If you were that concerned then maybe you should have noted the time and place this was occurring, along with the taxi plate number and report it to the relevant department.

I have no doubt that it was happening however.

We did that years ago with no positive results from the council.they always claim it's too difficult.Enforcement is a joke.if a serious incident happens then all the authorities will be the first to claim that they are doing everything in their power to stop bogus cabbie's when in actual fact they can't be bothered!

A Hackney carriage (Black Cab) can have a private hire radio and pick up flag downs.

Archived