Royal Mail to be privatised

So, it looks as though Royal Mail is to finally get privatised:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23249466

One thing I found odd was that there was scathing criticism of this when Peter Mandelson attempted this during Labour's time in power:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/01/royal-mail-mandelson-part-privatisation

Now the BBC reporting on the matter is far more positive, which makes me suspicious.

However, we do have to acknowledge that RM have dropped the ball when it comes to parcel delivery. There's little praise on here for their services, especially the recent price rises in parcel deliveries, resulting in third party companies like DHL and MyHermes jumping in and taking their business.

So, it looks as though Royal Mail is to finally get privatised:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23249466

One thing I found odd was that there was scathing criticism of this when Peter Mandelson attempted this during Labour's time in power:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/01/royal-mail-mandelson-part-privatisation

Now the BBC reporting on the matter is far more positive, which makes me suspicious.

However, we do have to acknowledge that RM have dropped the ball when it comes to parcel delivery. There's little praise on here for their services, especially the recent price rises in parcel deliveries, resulting in third party companies like DHL and MyHermes jumping in and taking their business.

Why did you have to mention Labour?

Because there's historical information relevant to the story. Why did Labour's attempts fail and why is this one so different?

Because it's a compound effect, just like trying to remove Abdul Qatada. Labour tried for years to remove him but couldn't due to various appeals. The Conservatives only just managed to do it due to previous system testing undertaken by Labour. If Labour hadn't done those things, the Conservatives would have to take those on trials and errors themselves and would have come up short too.

I seem to remember the aggro and media circus when Royal Mail wanted to privatise under Labour and that was only a notion at the time. Now the privatisation is going ahead and the public mood has changed. Do you favour privatisation, if so why?

I'm not sure. RM is in a mess but I don't know if privatisation will fix it.

I'm trying to understand if the negativity regarding Labour's attempts was down to the general dislike of Mandelson and his departure and repeated returns to the party.

Wasn't the poll tax supposed to be a fairer system but hated and not given a chance because of the party which introduced it?

I'm not sure. RM is in a mess but I don't know if privatisation will fix it.

I'm trying to understand if the negativity regarding Labour's attempts was down to the general dislike of Mandelson and his departure and repeated returns to the party.

Wasn't the poll tax supposed to be a fairer system but hated and not given a chance because of the party which introduced it?

No it has nothing to do with party politics but how it affects individuals in the masses. People didn't like Poll Tax because it was unfair to the masses. I've not researched the ins and outs of poll tax but if four people of age lived in a property they each had to pay £1,000 (Rough figure) instead of the £1,500 or so they paid for the entire household. I'm not sure whether Poll Tax accounted for the earning potential dues to age or any form of income. I've not researcheed the matter because it's in the past now and irrelevant but people just didn't like it. It would have been the same if Labour had introduced it.

I don't think the mood has changed all that much, people still really aren't up for it.

One thing that has been said is each person working in the Royal Mail will get about £2000 worth of shares, not something I remember from before.

Maybe they're trying to bung everyone some cash to keep quiet?

The CWU are going to strike if it all go's ahead tho.

Archived