Royal Mail to be privatised

Well, we certainly don't want the workers owning the business do we? - Because if they did, they'd be the bosses and we really need the workers to stay exactly where they are and do what the unions tell them to do.

Workers owning the business LOL!!! many of them will be having to find another business to work in soon if Royal Mail follows the familar pattern of the other privatised companies. The others lucky enough to survive the chop, can look forwards to wage erosion and a general decline in their hard-won terms of employment.

The only people who'll benefit from this are the ConDems wealthy friends and backers in the City.

Unless at the IPO it's massively undervalued against it's assett base I'm struggling to see the upside here. Contracting business market, masses of new competition taking all the most profitable bits off it and still the millstone of the USO round it's neck. I know the Post Office is trying to be a telco and an ISP and a bank but it's a bit part player in all those markets. Parcelforce struggle in this country so I can't see them breaking into foreign markets as the likes of TNT and UPS have here. GLS is solid enough but it's pretty much got every market it can so again where's the upside?

Unless it's at fire sale prices I'll leave it.

Unless at the IPO it's massively undervalued against it's assett base I'm struggling to see the upside here. Contracting business market, masses of new competition taking all the most profitable bits off it and still the millstone of the USO round it's neck. I know the Post Office is trying to be a telco and an ISP and a bank but it's a bit part player in all those markets. Parcelforce struggle in this country so I can't see them breaking into foreign markets as the likes of TNT and UPS have here. GLS is solid enough but it's pretty much got every market it can so again where's the upside?

Unless it's at fire sale prices I'll leave it.

Pretty much the case. Though the Post Office is not part of the deal, and when they create something useful i.e. a Bank that works National Giro it gets sold off at knock down price by the Government to a Clearing Bank. GLS staff are not being given shares so that suggests it will be sold off to the opposition asap it is a very good player in that market. It was even suggested the whole thing would be sold off to a competitor just so they could get their hands on GLS and then dispose of the rump piecemeal. Think the CWU would cause too much trouble to allow that to happen, although there will still be plenty of that. Since Parcel Force was downsized to concentrate on more lucrative products it has done quite well and increases market share. However many of the competitors are owned by parent companies that offer goods retail or on-line. These support the carriers when times are hard, PFW are just a Logistic company.

Does this mean we will receive a better standard of service for the price we pay or will the prices rise again and the service as bad as ever?

I suspect it will depend on where you live.

In Sheffield, we could possibly do quite well out of Royal Mail privatisation as we are a major city so lots of money to be made.

If you live out in the sticks, I think the opposite will come into play.

Not even a bribe because the shares only exsist on paper

And how do shares normally exist?

If those employees who receive shares don't want them, they can always sell them.

Then, no doubt, they will complain that 'some foreigners bought them!"

That's the way it usually goes, isn't it?

Archived