Continuing saga of Citroen C3 .. advice please!

Yes, but three things:

1) Its a BSI reset.

2) It should be done on all modern cars with a "computer".

3) The details you've been given aren't quite right - the BBA Reman ones are the best, but you only need to do the key thing if the key's remote battery has been changed or there's been no power to the car for an extended period and the sync between the remote and the car has been lost.

If you need a Citroen specific diagnostic to check it out (don't waste your time with a cheapo generic or scan-anything scanner / code reader), send me a PM.

Thanks alcresearch ... I'd forgotten about the key thing! Mind you, the key battery is fine (central locking works).

Googled BBA Reman but couldn't find the key thing song and dance. If I do exactly as I've written in my first post (on this thread), will it sort out the warning lights ... apparently the windows are playing silly buggers too!?

No way would I waste my time with a cheap scanner ... read about them on here. I'd much prefer to pay someone who's gone to the trouble (and considerable expense) of buying the proper thing.

I've already had a PM from another forummer (my confidentiality rules prevent me from saying who), but thank you for your very kind offer.

Having said that, I'm going to try the mucking about thing described in my first post first. I understand you're supposed to do this after the battery has gone flat. I may well be wrong. :)

---------- Post added 11-07-2013 at 20:14 ----------

My God !!!!! He has a girlfriend :hihi:

A very beautiful and intelligent one at that! ... Cheeky sod! :D

Is it customary to reset the BCI on this delightful trouble free (:rolleyes:) little car after the battery has gone flat? (due to leaving lights on). Strange things are now happening, like the electric windows not working properly, air-bag warning light coming on, engine warning light coming on (it's recently been checked and given the all clear).

If so, is the exact way to do it ...

Open drivers window and bonnet.

Close all the doors, switch everything off (radio etc)

Remove ignition key via open window.

Wait ten minutes.

Disconnect the battery

Wait thirty seconds.

Reconnect the battery.

Wait one minute.

Lean through drivers window and switch on engine (don't start it).

Switch on lights to 'dipped'.

Wait thirty seconds.

Start car.

Help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

What a flippin' malarkey!...Note to self: never buy a Citroen C3 :|

Its the same for any PSA (Peugeot - Citroen) car Pete, although the instructions posted above aren't correct.

Well I'm stunned...Such is the price of progress and computerisation I suppose. I remember in my younger days tinkering with my old Triumph Herald. The entire front of the car lifted away from the engine, and you could literally climb inside, and get at anything, to do whatever. Nowadays, I look inside an engine compartment, and I can hardly recognise what things are, never mind actually doing any work on them! I guess it's all done now with a view to making the DIY mechanic redundant.

As my old granny used to say "Get a 'proper' man in" :D

Ironically the C3 and its sister car the Peugeot 307 are probably one of the best buys because their issues have been very well documented and the parts are cheap and fixes well publicised on the web! Yes, they will encounter problems but there's a fantastic network of owners with diagnostic gear who've "been there" and the repair can usually be handled by any competent owner - if you're confident enough to do the usual service items you should be ok.

But you do really need a computer degree now to work on cars! It really is for the better though. Hook up the diags and it tells you which part is poorly.

But then again, perhaps not. I get asked to fix many issues where a part has been misdiagnosed because of the muppet misinterpreting the faults on a generic code reader.

The best one was where the AA said a high pressure fuel pump had failed because that's what the code was coming up. It would have cost at least £300 to replace.

When in reality it was a blockage of the in-tank fuel filter, and needed nothing more than a clean. But the filter is only fitted to the 110bhp model vehicle and is designed to last the lifetime of the car. But the AA thought the only fuel filter was the one in the engine bay.

The car in question had done 160,000 miles - beyond what the manufacturer wanted to be the lifetime!

But this is happening more and more. The garages are throwing parts at the problem in a vain attempt to fix it and the customer is left with the bill.

The moral of the story is if you find a good honest mechanic who knows your particular car, hold onto him for dear life!

Edited by alchresearch

What a flippin' malarkey!...Note to self: never buy a Citroen C3 :|

I used to work with a friend in Cambridgeshire who specialized in Triumphs (East Anglia Sports Cars), many of which we got from the States. I rebuilt the bodies and we won many concours prizes (depending on how much the customer wanted to spend).

I could pick whatever car I wanted to drive ... TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5 and TR6's.

Also quite a few Austin Healeys (3000mk2 and 3 :cool:), Spitfires :gag:, MG's :gag: etc.

NONE of these had computers in them and worked perfectly well!

Why don't Citroen go back to building what they're good at ... 2CV's, Traction Avant and DS were stepping stones in automotive history.

I had an AX GTi when they first came out and that was a bag of bobbins.

I fully intend to get another 2CV when I get round to it as I consider it to be one of the best cars ever built and a design icon (that's hardly got wires in it, never mind a bloody computer!).

The weekend will tell what's up with the C3. Supposed to be going on holiday in it at the end of next week ... at least the cam belt won't snap as it had a new one about a month ago ... and new front springs (pothole damage) ... and disks and pads ... and a new windscreen ... and new (non-talking) wiper blades ... and new tyres and exhaust ... and a water pump ... :rolleyes:

Its the same for any PSA (Peugeot - Citroen) car Pete, although the instructions posted above aren't correct.

:o:o:gag::gag::gag: WHAT!!! ... I printed these instructions off a Citroen website! I believe you ... what's wrong with them!? :help:

:o:o:gag::gag::gag: WHAT!!! ... I printed these instructions off a Citroen website! I believe you ... what's wrong with them!? :help:

Was it a Citroen website or was it an owners' forum?

The owners' forums CAN be helpful but there's also a lot of duff info around, or what starts out as good info but like Chinese whispers gets to be a little inaccurate by the time someone posts it.

I've just PM'd you a homeopathic remedy you could try ;)

The best one was where the AA said a high pressure fuel pump had failed because that's what the code was coming up. It would have cost at least £300 to replace.

When in reality it was a blockage of the in-tank fuel filter, and needed nothing more than a clean. But the filter is only fitted to the 110bhp model vehicle and is designed to last the lifetime of the car. But the AA thought the only fuel filter was the one in the engine bay.

The moral of the story is if you find a good honest mechanic who knows your particular car, hold onto him for dear life!

That reminds me of when I called the AA out to mine (I have a Vauxhall) plugged his diagnostic thing in and couldn't find a fault code, changed the plugs and charged me £20 for them and told me to get the car to a garage, my mechanic found it in seconds, exactly what am I paying for with the AA? could someone enlighten me please? Policy is up for renewal soon....erm no I think not