Continuing saga of Citroen C3 .. advice please!

The AA couldn't bleed a clutch peddle when I called them out a couple of months back.

I had a bad experience with Green Flag a few years back when they were the National Breakdown (they fitted the wrong part and blew my electrics to kingdom come) and have been with the AA ever since, policies due next month any thoughts??

What are the RAC like, like for like???

---------- Post added 14-07-2013 at 17:47 ----------

What a flippin' malarkey!...Note to self: never buy a Citroen C3 :|

I'd avoid Fiat's too, they're not quite as bad as Citroen's however my nephew had one and called it Bar steward and I don't think he was referring to a golf club!!!!! It was a real worthless piece of junk, who in their right mind would design a wiper motor made from plastic parts incorporating two metal washers? :loopy:the thing even drove like a tank - it was a Punto incidentally and a new one.

Needless to say the in laws C3 has gone wrong again, if you look out of the window and spot a blue cloud rising into the sky then you've found him!!!:hihi:

That reminds me of when I called the AA out to mine (I have a Vauxhall) plugged his diagnostic thing in and couldn't find a fault code, changed the plugs and charged me £20 for them and told me to get the car to a garage, my mechanic found it in seconds, exactly what am I paying for with the AA? could someone enlighten me please? Policy is up for renewal soon....erm no I think not

That'll be because they use an almost useless laptop driven EOBD kit. ELM based if I remember correctly. Won't read anything other than faults with the emissions system.

Well! ... went round to G/F's on Friday evening to stay for the weekend, armed with the inaccurate instructions for reprogramming the Citroen's little computer.

Guess what? ... it was working fine when I got there! ... no emergency lights on the dasboard and the windows going up and down in an orderly manner! ... almost as if Andre Citroen himself had been reading this thread from the grave and had popped round to put things right!

Our holiday for next week was saved! Fylingdales ... here we come! :banana:

Except ... G/F decided to dump the old Clarion stereo and get a new Pioneer one from Halfolds (with USB for iPod). Muggins here volunteered to fit it, and ensured we got a harness adaptor lead and aerial adaptor ... a simple click together process (saving thirty quid). The helpful assistant had told me that I'd have to connect one wire from the stereo to the positive wire on bit of equipment on the car that only worked when the ignition was turned on ... I opted for the fag lighter. Only thing is, there are three wires to it ... earth, thick white wire and a thin pink one ... no amount of Googling would tell me which was the positive ... I opted for white as the radio came on when I touched the wires together (unlike pink).

Everything worked fine! ... until I connected the iPod to it. Firstly, it didn't work ... secondly, it zeroed the dash info panel (time, temperature etc) and the electric windows slowed to half speed.

Decided to give up after an hour or so of head scratching, dismantled everything and put the radio back in the bloody box. I't was obviously affecting the computer.

The car's now working fine again, but without a stereo for holiday! :(

Well! ... went round to G/F's on Friday evening to stay for the weekend, armed with the inaccurate instructions for reprogramming the Citroen's little computer.

Guess what? ... it was working fine when I got there! ... no emergency lights on the dasboard and the windows going up and down in an orderly manner! ... almost as if Andre Citroen himself had been reading this thread from the grave and had popped round to put things right!

Our holiday for next week was saved! Fylingdales ... here we come! :banana:

Except ... G/F decided to dump the old Clarion stereo and get a new Pioneer one from Halfolds (with USB for iPod). Muggins here volunteered to fit it, and ensured we got a harness adaptor lead and aerial adaptor ... a simple click together process (saving thirty quid). The helpful assistant had told me that I'd have to connect one wire from the stereo to the positive wire on bit of equipment on the car that only worked when the ignition was turned on ... I opted for the fag lighter. Only thing is, there are three wires to it ... earth, thick white wire and a thin pink one ... no amount of Googling would tell me which was the positive ... I opted for white as the radio came on when I touched the wires together (unlike pink).

Everything worked fine! ... until I connected the iPod to it. Firstly, it didn't work ... secondly, it zeroed the dash info panel (time, temperature etc) and the electric windows slowed to half speed.

Decided to give up after an hour or so of head scratching, dismantled everything and put the radio back in the bloody box. I't was obviously affecting the computer.

The car's now working fine again, but without a stereo for holiday! :(

That's the beauty of multiplex™ :D

Don't go frying your ECU's too much :o

That's the beauty of multiplex™ :D

Don't go frying your ECU's too much :o

Come on Mr.Booster ... I'm vaguely aware of multiplexing but don't understand what you mean. The new car stereo is supposed to be compatible with the car, so how can it affect this?

Are you saying that the information I was given, to connect the provided live wire from the harness adaptor lead to a component of the car that is only activated when the ignition is turned on, is incorrect?

Are you suggesting I need some kind of demultiplexer? Are you suggesting (and I'm not for one moment ruling it out) that I'm stupid? The Guy in Halfords (yeah ... I know) said the stereo was simple to fit and virtually anyone could do it. I was just trying to save my G/F thirty quid by fitting it myself.

Looks like the car's going to Halfords now for them to fit, complete with iPod I gave G/F. :mad:

(I once asked Halfords to fit (£9) a new headlamp bulb, as I'd've had to remove the battery to do it 'cos of the size of my hands and the confined space. Took their fitter about one minute ... he had fingers like pipe-cleaners! I worked out that if the guy fitted passenger side headlamp bulbs as his own business he'd make around £500,000 a year!)

---------- Post added 15-07-2013 at 00:46 ----------

I was thinking of buying a c2 for doing general pottering about town, should I be worried? You've put me right off btw.

I reckon that if you just want a Citroen for just pottering around town you'd be OK. Just buy a battery charger and a one and a half mile long extension for it. :rolleyes::)

Gone are the days when you can just remove the original stereo and fit a third party one.

You need to disconnect the battery for starters.

Then you have to change the live feeds. Ignore the fact this document is for a Sony, but note the different combinations at the bottom of page 2:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4125799211.pdf

If you're messing with wiring it to the cigarette lighter you're way over your head!

And never. Repeat NEVER listen to Halfords monkeys!

Gone are the days when you can just remove the original stereo and fit a third party one.

You need to disconnect the battery for starters.

Then you have to change the live feeds. Ignore the fact this document is for a Sony, but note the different combinations at the bottom of page 2:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4125799211.pdf

If you're messing with wiring it to the cigarette lighter you're way over your head!

And never. Repeat NEVER listen to Halfords monkeys!

Thanks alcresearch, and you're right ... it's way over my head. Basically, Halfords lied to me and took money under false pretences.

It was them that said the stereo was simple to fit and them that said to connect to the cigarette lighter. Nothing about what you've said above. Neither did the Pioneer come with wiring instructions ... just a users manual.

Unfortunately, due to this, we'll have to go on our week long holiday in the car without a stereo at all as there isn't time to get it sorted (G/F working 'til we go away and needs the car).

I'm gonna take this matter up with Halfords as I don't like being conned. My G/F would have been more than happy to pay a professional to do the fitting if Halfords had told the truth in the first place.