Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

Passive smoking does harm people, possibly more than the person smoking it as they're behind a nice filter. This is proven and not spin.

I'm not a victim of Blair's Spin, I'm quite capable of forming my own views based on my own experiences and the primary research literature. Which I doubt you've ever read, so in fact you're far more affected by the pseudo-scientific tat they dish out in newspapers etc.

They might try to reduce binge drinking but I'll give you ten to one they won't ban alcohol all together. Not that I'll actually care if they do as I don't drink. If they legalise cannabis this would be an incredibly hypocritical move after banning smoking though - not one I'd put past New Labour but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, and I think chances are it probably won't... but I'll concede the possibility. I applaud this particular move but the government in general is a bit worrying lately, ID cards being the single most ridiculous concept I've ever heard.

smoking should be banned completely in my opinion.

"big tobacco" have been making money out of poisoning and killing the populace for far too long already.

it seems almost ridiculous in this day and age that people still enjoy inhaling smoke from a burning plant.

If you banned smoking altogether where would Gordon Brown find the £12 billion pounds that tobacco revenues put in his kitty every year ? Not from the costs to the NHS of smoking related diseases - that is estimated at £2 billion, and in many cases smoking is no more than an aggravation to an underlying disease that would have occurred anyway.

And if you ban smoking on it's potential to kill people why stop there ?- obesity is fast becoming as significant a cause of premature death as smoking, so let's ban all the foods that cause obesity.

Thousands of people sit in traffic jams every day inhaling exhaust fumes for long periods. Are these fumes any less dangerous than tobacco smoke ? The long-term effects haven't been properly investigated and I doubt they will be, because of the huge profits made by govts. and oil comanies from our addiction to motor transport.

Banning things you don't approve of is the thin end of a very thick wedge.

Finally, I'll be able to walk down The Moor, and not have to breathe in the second hand smoke of my fellow citizens - especially on a cold day, when the smoke drifts from one end of The Moor t'other :gag:

Yes folks, the regeneration of Sheffield City Centre continues :clap:

Furthermore, I'll be able to wait at a bus stop in the rain, and not have to breathe in the carcinogens pumped into the local atmosphere by selfish smokers who are quite prepared to kill themselves, and others, by smoking, yet, bless their little hearts, are afraid of getting wet.

Aw diddums :sad:

Fellow Sheffielders

As much as I'd like a total ban on smoking, this would present its own problems:

1) As Greybeard says, tobacco taxes raise a huge amount of revenue

2) Tobacco companies would merely promote their products overseas even more aggressively than they do now, in order to make up for lost revenue (damn those pesky shareholders)

I was surprised that the Angel of Death, Dr John Reid (formerly Angel of Mercy, Dr John Reid) called smoking a 'working class pleasure' when it kills far more people in lower social classes than any other.

As I said earlier, if this government were really concerned about the health of the nation, they would ban the use of and sale of all tobacco products. I wonder why not?:loopy:

I read yesterday that HMG expects 600,000 people to give it up as a result. I guess it's softly softly rather than just an outright ban.

I'm not sure if you could even legally introduce an outright ban under todays combined UK and European laws.

Archived