Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

a politician has today condemned the ban, because the children of smokers will have to put up with them smoking at home more often.

Children being exposed to passive smoking is a horrible thing; not only are the kids exposed to a greater risk of asthma etc, but they're usually from poorer backgrounds where parents will spend more on tobacco and alcohol than on bringing up their children safely (a double whammy) and will be more likely to smoke themselves, continuing the vicious circle :(

By the way, I can't believe that smokers will abandon the pubs they've been going to for years, or drastically change their social habits, just because they'll have to step outside for a few minutes to have a fag.

As shown by what's happened in Ireland, it will very much depend on the type of pub whether it suffers or not. Those with no outdoor space have suffered badly - and there's quite a few such pubs in Sheffield, often the oldest and most characterful ones, but also a lot of the modern bars.

I wonder how this will affect elderly people who smoke? They are the one group least likely to want to go outside for a smoke - in fact that could make them ill (if the smoking is not already doing so!). I can see that many of them will abandon the pubs.

I also wonder if this will cause an increase in pub violence as stressed smokers try to contain rage when without a fag?! This did happen in New York apparently - with several murders and attempted murders! Wouldn't fancy being a bouncer when the ban comes in...

Children being exposed to passive smoking is a horrible thing; not only are the kids exposed to a greater risk of asthma etc, but they're usually from poorer backgrounds where parents will spend more on tobacco and alcohol than on bringing up their children safely (a double whammy) and will be more likely to smoke themselves, continuing the vicious circle :(

Such kids are also more likely to live in areas with heavy air pollution, and in housing which is damp and overcrowded - a quadruple whammy?

There's a good side though - kids are also usually vehement anti-smokers and are more likely to successfully badger their parents to give up than anyone else is! If education about smoking was focussed on schools even more than it is now then more people would give up simply because their kids would keep on at them.

I know a lot of people who smoke and have kids and almost all of them are forced to take the habit outside by their offspring!

Must have come as a shock when, after not contacting your MP, the vote went against your views regarding the Identity Card Legislation.

Given you declare "I will burn my I/D Card" upon receiving your Passport with it..........I take it you would approve if we all "Light Up" anywhere when the Smoking Ban comes in?

What is good enough for one, is good enough for another. :thumbsup:

I already said "maybe i should have", so it's obvious I didn't.

And why would it be a shock, firstly there's about 600 mps, and secondly my mp has a lot more than 1 opinion to take into account.

Obviously i'll burn it where no one will be forced to inhale the smoke.

I have no definitive answer on this matter, I do smoke and wish that I didn't. Smoking bans on aircraft and public transport and restaurants haven't bothered me so this one will probably not. A question though:

There appears to be a lot of people who never enter a pub that are in favour of a total ban in pubs. This is similar to people who have never watched a boxing match but want to see it banned. Is this yet another platform for the 'Ban Everything' brigade to climb onto?

These people only want things that they do not like or participate in banned, any nasty little habits of theirs that upset others are fine. Bearded lefties riding bikes on pavements who snarl at you because you are in their way comes to mind, but they think that they are in the right. There are those that couldn't care less about the welfare of foxes that were all for a hunting ban simply because they liked to think that they didn't like hunters.

We have to be careful that we don't get carried along with this government's long list of things that they would like to ban. It is unable to come out with any sensible policy so it will continue to invoke it's 1984 agenda on us.

There appears to be a lot of people who never enter a pub that are in favour of a total ban in pubs.

QUOTE]

i do agree with that.

However my wife and loads of family only visit pubs where smoking is banned. so its the same pub for every night out,birthday etc which is no benefit & stops us wanting to go to a pub.

we even quit a very lucrative business in WMC's & hotels because we could not cope with the increase at that time in smoking.

6 years on when i open my dj cases they still have hint of the smoke on them.

Re-asthma and kids .

Apparently the number of cases of kids with asthma is on the increase whereas the amount of smoking has gone down in recent years .

Surely , there's only one solution -------ban car driving for pleasure and any form of industrial discharge . That should do the trick and satisfy the Health Control Freaks .........well , if ANYTHING will .......?

did i hear right that they are also proposing to raise the age for buying cigarettes?

could be wrong but i thought it was mentioned on the radio last week.

They'll probably also pass a law making it so that all cigarettes have to be purchased in licenced premises.

Thats political common sense !

I largely agree with this smoking ban, although I can sympathise with the argument that private members clubs should be able to permit smoking if their members want it.

One thing I disagree with is the implementation timescale though. I read on the BBC news site that the ban will be introduced in summer 2007 - that's 18 months! Why so long? Obviously they can't implement new legislation instantly, but surely 3-6 months is sufficient? :(

Archived