Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

I don't know whose posts you were reading, I said only a few posts back that a mix of smoking/non smoking would suit me fine.
- post 46

Why do I need an excuse, i'm happy with the decision, so clearly my input wasn't needed.
- post 127

Wow a complete change of opinion in just 81 posts

Labour once again going back on manifesto commitments in which the British public voted them in on. No surprise.

At least hundreds of working mens clubs are under very real threat from extinction now, tis a major positive locally as the Borough becomes more conservative and middle class every year. Weatherspoons have done a major trial of it and there's at least a 7- 10% reduction in takings across the board so that's tens of thousands of jobs lost and major closures of a hefty proportion of independent pubs especially in rural areas.

The pubs that survive with no probs will be the major chains... no wonder Cameron got a stiffy after his past employment. Just clones, like the once great shopping experience is in GB on the High St.

Nice one. Labour knows best. Just like they knew best at another once thriving heartbeat of the community - the Post Office, now dead and buried all over the country because of their nannying over benefits payments. Next up the local pub.

That's not to say a blanket ban will actually come into effect and i won't have any problems smoking in pubs... or at least a pub. The landlord has risked thousands of pounds of fines in many other areas of legality before and he isn't going to change that now. That will happen all over the country.

The poncey vertical bars on the High St are well overdue a spanking in takings anyway. Job losses and all.

and as Stephen Pound in the Commons said yesterday:

'Ban, ban, ban he cried mockingly. 'Why not ban cars? Why not ban alcohol? Let's all go on a milquetoast diet of muesli, looking for a little stimulation where we can find it.'

Unfortunately the UK is turning soft. The poor sods who don't dare cross a road at a pelican crossing until the green man and bleeper goes, even if it's safe to do so. Won't find many smokers too bothered about waiting to be told when it's safe crossing the road when it clearly already is.

Taking risks is what turned Brittania into world beaters. The decline will continue. It starts off with egg and spoon races, hanging baskets being banned and it ends with persecution and freedom of choice wiped out at the core of a proud people.. something the fabric of decent society should be built on. Other nations should take note...mind you most of the west is heading the same way anyway.... to decline.

The fact is it's a sad day for England... it's one in which has wiped out the risks which any nation needs to prosper. The only way a nation prospers is with freedom of choice and an ability of her people to take risks... with that gone the terminal decline will continue.

Leftists won't mind. That is their plan... to wipe out any risk taking and ability for the people to think for themselves along with the age-old right for business to cater for what the market demands... the fact is the market didn't cater for this so they went for the jugular and have permantley damaged a once proud nation built on values.

- post 46

- post 127

Wow a complete change of opinion in just 81 posts

erm, no. I would have been happy with a decision to make some pubs non smoking. I'm just as happy that all pubs will be non smoking. It's all the same to me, i'm happy that i'll be able to get a drink without someone poisoning me.

No change of opinion at all, they went further than I thought strictly necessary, but in my favour.

I have no idea how you even thought that was a change of opinion, it seems pretty clear and straighforward to me.

what a good rant, I salute you.

Feel free to continue to play chicken on the M1 and take whatever risks you like, maybe you expect to be able to take risks with other peoples health, fortunately the government don't agree with you.

Labour once again going back on manifesto commitments in which the British public voted them in on. No surprise.

At least hundreds of working mens clubs are under very real threat from extinction now, tis a major positive locally as the Borough becomes more conservative and middle class every year. Weatherspoons have done a major trial of it and there's at least a 7- 10% reduction in takings across the board so that's tens of thousands of jobs lost and major closures of a hefty proportion of independent pubs especially in rural areas.

The pubs that survive with no probs will be the major chains... no wonder Cameron got a stiffy after his past employment. Just clones, like the once great shopping experience is in GB on the High St.

Nice one. Labour knows best. Just like they knew best at another once thriving heartbeat of the community - the Post Office, now dead and buried all over the country because of their nannying over benefits payments. Next up the local pub.

That's not to say a blanket ban will actually come into effect and i won't have any problems smoking in pubs... or at least a pub. The landlord has risked thousands of pounds of fines in many other areas of legality before and he isn't going to change that now. That will happen all over the country.

The poncey vertical bars on the High St are well overdue a spanking in takings anyway. Job losses and all.

and as Stephen Pound in the Commons said yesterday:

'Ban, ban, ban he cried mockingly. 'Why not ban cars? Why not ban alcohol? Let's all go on a milquetoast diet of muesli, looking for a little stimulation where we can find it.'

Unfortunately the UK is turning soft. The poor sods who don't dare cross a road at a pelican crossing until the green man and bleeper goes, even if it's safe to do so. Won't find many smokers too bothered about waiting to be told when it's safe crossing the road when it clearly already is.

Taking risks is what turned Brittania into world beaters. The decline will continue. It starts off with egg and spoon races, hanging baskets being banned and it ends with persecution and freedom of choice wiped out at the core of a proud people.. something the fabric of decent society should be built on. Other nations should take note...mind you most of the west is heading the same way anyway.... to decline.

The fact is it's a sad day for England... it's one in which has wiped out the risks which any nation needs to prosper. The only way a nation prospers is with freedom of choice and an ability of her people to take risks... with that gone the terminal decline will continue.

Leftists won't mind. That is their plan... to wipe out any risk taking and ability for the people to think for themselves along with the age-old right for business to cater for what the market demands... the fact is the market didn't cater for this so they went for the jugular and have permantley damaged a once proud nation built on values.

i think the government banning smoking in pubs etc. is a wonderful wonderful thing. not because it bothers that people smoke or that it makes my clothes smell- thats annoying but i have a washing machine!

the reason why i think the ban is so great is because i think it will make loads and loads of people give up all together. so many people only smoke when out and i have a few friends who have done this but then its turned into a habit. so these people could well stop all together and that would be wonderful.

the implication will be a healthier country and i don't see how anyone could argue with that

I largely agree with this smoking ban, although I can sympathise with the argument that private members clubs should be able to permit smoking if their members want it.

One thing I disagree with is the implementation timescale though. I read on the BBC news site that the ban will be introduced in summer 2007 - that's 18 months! Why so long? Obviously they can't implement new legislation instantly, but surely 3-6 months is sufficient? :(

they need to gather the taxes that smoking brings to the treasury,the longer they wait the more they get and the more time they will have to find other ways of finding a way of collecting the tax that will be lost if people stop smoking

the reason why i think the ban is so great is because i think it will make loads and loads of people give up all together. so many people only smoke when out and i have a few friends who have done this but then its turned into a habit. so these people could well stop all together and that would be wonderful.

the implication will be a healthier country and i don't see how anyone could argue with that

:clap: :clap: I totally agree with u!! Can't be a bad thing and in reality no-one loses out the smokers will just have to go outside for a fag!!

I largely agree with this smoking ban, although I can sympathise with the argument that private members clubs should be able to permit smoking if their members want it.

Agree with both points.

I suspect the latter had little to do with health, but more to do with sticking it to the toffs?

Expecially as the House of Commons is exempt from the smoking ban*

*According to Radio Sheffield news at 9am this morning, the House of Commons (or it Lords?) is classed as a Palace, not a public building, so the smoking ban does not apply

they need to gather the taxes that smoking brings to the treasury,the longer they wait the more they get and the more time they will have to find other ways of finding a way of collecting the tax that will be lost if people stop smoking

but well save loads of money on the nhs from better national health and the economic implications of a healthier nation will be much greater than revenues lost imh

Agree with both points.

I suspect the latter had little to do with health, but more to do with sticking it to the toffs?

Expecially as the House of Commons is exempt from the smoking ban*

*According to Radio Sheffield news at 9am this morning, the House of Commons (or it Lords?) is classed as a Palace, not a public building, so the smoking ban does not apply

the toffs in prison aren't effected either

Archived