Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

you're right.......i just feel sorry for those people who's families go to these smokey working mens clubs and WILL have a premature death.

I'm all up for personal choice, but in this case IMO people are making the wrong choice and I simply think the government are right to intervein.

And what great news this is for pregnant mothers who will be able to go out for dinner without inhailing smoke

I'm aware its easy for me to say, as i'm a non-smoker

Only one third of smokers die of conditions which can be smoking related - many of which could also be caused by diet, lack of exercise, environmental toxins and genetics. The other two-thirds die of something else. Ergo, you cannot say that a smoker WILL die of it. They stand a decent chance of doing so, but it is in no way certain.

shoeshine - how about the Woodseats Palace then? Will folk be allowed to smoke in there? Or is it a Witheredspoons? ;)

Only one third of smokers die of conditions which can be smoking related - many of which could also be caused by diet, lack of exercise, environmental toxins and genetics. The other two-thirds die of something else. Ergo, you cannot say that a smoker WILL die of it. They stand a decent chance of doing so, but it is in no way certain.

shoeshine - how about the Woodseats Palace then? Will folk be allowed to smoke in there? Or is it a Witheredspoons? ;)

i didn't say they will die from smoking, i said they'll have a premature death.

Its widely known that non smokers live longer

is choosing to use heroin the right choice in your opinion?

I choose not to use it, and would discourage others from doing it, but if they really, really wanted to, then that's their decision no matter what I think.

the differnece is that 3 out of 4 of the countries representatives of the voters agree with me

Since when has having a majority made something 'right'???

I choose not to use it, and would discourage others from doing it, but if they really, really wanted to, then that's their decision no matter what I think.

Since when has having a majority made something 'right'???

so you want to legalise heroin? you've just shown you don't have one single braincell

i didn't say they will die from smoking, i said they'll have a premature death.

Its widely known that non smokers live longer

If someone aged 21 crossed the road now and got knocked down and killed is that because they smoke?

If someone aged 65 chokes to death on a ham sandwich next Thursday, is that because they smoke?

Non-smokers tend to live longer because statistically they do, compared as a group, not because they always do. Statistics are representative of what tends to happen, they do not say what exactly happens!!!

If someone aged 21 crossed the road now and got knocked down and killed is that because they smoke?

If someone aged 65 chokes to death on a ham sandwich next Thursday, is that because they smoke?

Non-smokers tend to live longer because statistically they do, compared as a group, not because they always do. Statistics are representative of what tends to happen, they do not say what exactly happens!!!

i'm glad you explained that to me. what if the man crossing the road was on his way to buy fags?

i stand corrected (said the man in orpheapedic shoes)

do you enjoy splitting hairs?

Its called democracy, got an alternative?

Democracy is supposed to be a fair system of rule, where everyone is equal. I believe limiting human rights removes some of this equality.

Having a majority doesn't make one right, it makes one part of the majority. I can think of several occasions when a majority has been proved to have acted wrongly.

so you want to legalise heroin? you've just shown you don't have one single braincell

And why would legalising heroin be a bad thing, pray?

I believe everyone has right to do what they want, when they want, where they want providing they hurt no-one else.

So I fail to see why smokers shouldn't be allowed a private space where they can light up without hurting anyone except themselves.

I don't think you're helping the non smokers argument Rocketpig.

Mathom is correct in what he says, on average people who smoke live for shorter periods, but it's only an average, it doesn't apply to every individual (and would be hard to prove either way, I guess a twin study would be the best way to investigate).

Likewise with your argument for legislation to stop self harm. People have the right to do whatever they like with their own bodies. The reason heroin should remain illegal is that it rapidly leads to crime to feed the addiction and so impacts directly on other people. If people want to snort rat poison or bungee jump or do many other potentially harmful things, they have that right, so long as they aren't going to force someone else to join in (passive bungee jumping maybe) and aren't going affect other people by their activity.

Archived