Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

Democracy is supposed to be a fair system of rule, where everyone is equal. I believe limiting human rights removes some of this equality.

Having a majority doesn't make one right, it makes one part of the majority. I can think of several occasions when a majority has been proved to have acted wrongly.

And why would legalising heroin be a bad thing, pray?

I believe everyone has right to do what they want, when they want, where they want providing they hurt no-one else.

So I fail to see why smokers shouldn't be allowed a private space where they can light up without hurting anyone except themselves.

A majority makes the RIGHT decision for the majority. If its what the majority want, of course its the right decision for the majority and the wrong decision for the minority. doesn't mean the minority are wrong, it means their judgements lie elsewhere.

I have no respect for you because you are trying to argue that heroin should be made legal

I have no respect for you because you are trying to argue that heroin should be made legal

Stop arguing with him then. You obviously show him some respect (as you are trying to change his opinion) by debating this.

If you had no respect for him you wouldn't have to challenge him so.

Wilf

i'm glad you explained that to me. what if the man crossing the road was on his way to buy fags?

i stand corrected (said the man in orpheapedic shoes)

do you enjoy splitting hairs?

He could, indeed, have been crossing the road to buy his nicotine patches in order to give up and make everyone happy. ;)

You statistically are extremely unlikely to win the lottery and are more likely to be killed by an asteroid, but nevertheless, somebody wins the lottery, and how many killer asteroids have you had to dodge? In the same way, there could be someone who has never smoked, never even left their isolated, smoke free island, but they could die of lung cancer at the age of 25, and there could be the hardened 40 Capstan a day man who lives to be over 100.

I don't think you're helping the non smokers argument Rocketpig.

Mathom is correct in what he says, on average people who smoke live for shorter periods, but it's only an average, it doesn't apply to every individual (and would be hard to prove either way, I guess a twin study would be the best way to investigate).

Likewise with your argument for legislation to stop self harm. People have the right to do whatever they like with their own bodies. The reason heroin should remain illegal is that it rapidly leads to crime to feed the addiction and so impacts directly on other people. If people want to snort rat poison or bungee jump or do many other potentially harmful things, they have that right, so long as they aren't going to force someone else to join in (passive bungee jumping maybe) and aren't going affect other people by their activity.

Non of this opposes anything i said.

I agree that self harmers should be forced to get help. I'm not talking about those who scratch the wrists, i'm talking about those who are really harming themselves.

Suicide is illegal in this country, what do you think about that?

its all about judgements

He could, indeed, have been crossing the road to buy his nicotine patches in order to give up and make everyone happy. ;)

You statistically are extremely unlikely to win the lottery and are more likely to be killed by an asteroid, but nevertheless, somebody wins the lottery, and how many killer asteroids have you had to dodge? In the same way, there could be someone who has never smoked, never even left their isolated, smoke free island, but they could die of lung cancer at the age of 25, and there could be the hardened 40 Capstan a day man who lives to be over 100.

and i agree with you

I was wrong to say if you are a smoker you will die early, we've got to think of it as a group, i realise that.

The chances are significant enough for me to say that it is very likely which is just as good for me

doesn't mean the minority are wrong, it means their judgements lie elsewhere.

So it doesn't mean the minority are wrong, just me? Thanks! But to say the majority is right because there are more of them? That is such a playground attitude.

Oh no! I'm so upset! ... But you didn't give me a reason why you thought it should remain illegal.

I know of several reasons why it should be legalised, and several why it shouldn't be. But I wouldn't pretend to call either of them 'right' - they're just opinions.

shoeshine - how about the Woodseats Palace then? Will folk be allowed to smoke in there? Or is it a Witheredspoons? ;)

Smoking will be allowed only when Gene Autry films are showing.

Saturday Mornings...... Special Kid's Concession 10p entry and free Ciggies issued at the Kiosk. (ps Bring Your Own Matches and don't forget to use the ashtrays..... we've had the Fire Brigade out twice already this Month) :thumbsup:

So it doesn't mean the minority are wrong, just me? Thanks! But to say the majority is right because there are more of them? That is such a playground attitude.

Oh no! I'm so upset! ... But you didn't give me a reason why you thought it should remain illegal.

I know of several reasons why it should be legalised, and several why it shouldn't be. But I wouldn't pretend to call either of them 'right' - they're just opinions.

did i say the majority are right and the minority are wrong? NO i didn't

now listen, are you ready? I said it is right for the majority

Cyclone hit the nail on the head why Heroin is illegal, look up and read it.

I don't think i've ever said this before, but if your opinion is that heroin should be legalised then your opinion is wrong. if you said your opinion is that child abuse should be legalised i'd also tell you that your opinion is wrong.

Archived