Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

then i meant total ban i meant pubs, clubs, places that serve food and where there are children.

i have friends who smoke, who don't mind being courteous to go outside and have a cigarette. which is nice.

don't we all have the right to have a choice whether we smoke or not to smoke (voluntary or not)?

i don't hate smokers its up to them what they do and just cos they smoke don't affect there personality, because i know some really cool people and would never judge them by that.

so you can't say one party is better than the other because everyone has there faults.

If your reality is that you think all smokers become criminals, I'm glad I live in MY reality thanks, I judge less.

Wilf

Oh come on wilf, thats just a daft thing to say. I haven't said smokers are criminals, you're now making things up probably in an attempt to make me look silly. You've clearly got very agrivated by this, please calm down and debate nicely.

I'm pleased about the recent ban, thats all. I beleive the ban will bring a social reform, hopefully make smoking less appealing for youngsters and I think banning smoking in pubs etc. is a clever way for the government to go about it.

I don't judge adult smokers and never have I said passive smoking bothers me personally.

Please chill out and debate nicely

MPs only voted on legislation after a long campaign by anti-smoking groups who targeted a legal activity.

They are telling others how to live their lives, just like anyone else who condemns ppl for smoking.

who next? liberty is easily eroded.

these anti-smoking groups probably consist of people who have loast close friends and relatives to lung cancer.

I don't consider them as do-gooder but as people campaigning against something that has effected their life

Oh come on wilf, thats just a daft thing to say. I haven't said smokers are criminals, you're now making things up probably in an attempt to make me look silly. You've clearly got very agrivated by this, please calm down and debate nicely.

I'm pleased about the recent ban, thats all. I beleive the ban will bring a social reform, hopefully make smoking less appealing for youngsters and I think banning smoking in pubs etc. is a clever way for the government to go about it.

I don't judge adult smokers and never have I said passive smoking bothers me personally.

Please chill out and debate nicely

I'm very chilled (just had a smoke :P )

Maybe it will affect children, maybe it won't you seem to think it will, but since when have children smoked legally and since when have they done it in pubs?. If these were the real moral reasons (ie. care of duty to citizens by government) then why not just ban smoking, I stand by that comment.

In my opinion though, this isn't about that, it is about appearing to look like you are doing something noble while still profiting directly and indirectly from supplying a large percentage of your population a dangerous, highly addictive substance.

As for personal freedoms, I hate to think what precedent this sets for the future. I'm not mad about the ban, I'm mad about the hypocrisy of it but ultimately all I am left with is the question 'What next? Obesity Tax? An increase on income tax or VAT? Will these same vocal adherents now be as supportive of the new taxes when they negatively infringe on them? Will they gladly pay the pricetag to this ban when it becomes comes around?

If yes, then fair play, but if not, it is just hollow sentiment of wanting something for nothing.

Wilf

these anti-smoking groups probably consist of people who have loast close friends and relatives to lung cancer.

I don't consider them as do-gooder but as people campaigning against something that has effected their life

I dont consider them as do-gooders either.

If they have lost loved ones to cancer then thats is sad. However this does not give them any right to impose their views on others.

I dont consider them as do-gooders either.

If they have lost loved ones to cancer then thats is sad. However this does not give them any right to impose their views on others.

oh I disagree, Everyone has the right to campaign for things they beleive in. If you disagree you can simply ignore them.

What's happened is, (in theory) MPs have listened to the wants of the nation and made legislation to suit.

lets please not get into a debate over whether this has actually happened

oh I disagree, Everyone has the right to campaign for things they beleive in. If you disagree you can simply ignore them.

What's happened is, (in theory) MPs have listened to the wants of the nation and made legislation to suit.

lets please not get into a debate over whether this has actually happened

I agree ppl should be able to campaign but with that comes responsibilty.

Before the ban people had choice, now they do not. is it ever a good thing to remove choice?

I'm very chilled (just had a smoke :P )

Maybe it will affect children, maybe it won't you seem to think it will, but since when have children smoked legally and since when have they done it in pubs?. If these were the real moral reasons (ie. care of duty to citizens by government) then why not just ban smoking, I stand by that comment.

I think the ban on smoking in pubs etc. will make smoking look less cool to kids, thats where i think it will affect them. Prepared to be wrong, time will tell

I don't think the ban effects an adults choice to smoke or not. Not smoking in trains, planes, shops, waiting rooms is the norm. and now not smoking in pubs and clubs will also be the norm.

Here's a question: If you're allowd to smoke in pubs and clubs, why aren't you allowd to smoke in shops, trains, planes and waiting rooms? why wouldn't you light up in people's houses without asking?

I agree ppl should be able to campaign but with that comes responsibilty.

Before the ban people had choice, now they do not. is it ever a good thing to remove choice?

oh people still have choice, you can still smoke just not on licensed premesis and you may not allow people to smoke on your licensed premesis.

I'd be interested to know how many non-voters are expressing their views on this subject

Archived