Gone but not forgotten

just like to take this opportunity to tell people about my grandad, he survived the 2nd world war, posted in italy and africa and will always be my hero, in reality he was lucky, the heros didnt make it back, so spare a thought for LEE RIGBY tomorrow on the day of his funeral and remember as we go along our merry way, this is what our ancestors died for. weve had hard times, just becouse they dont teach it in schools anymore doesnt mean it didnt happen.

just like to take this opportunity to tell people about my grandad, he survived the 2nd world war, posted in italy and africa and will always be my hero, in reality he was lucky, the heros didnt make it back, so spare a thought for LEE RIGBY tomorrow on the day of his funeral and remember as we go along our merry way, this is what our ancestors died for. weve had hard times, just becouse they dont teach it in schools anymore doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Very well put, and yes it's sad that kids aren't taught people like your granddad & many, many like him; fought in 2 World Wars to stop oppression. I hope Lee Rigby gets the fitting send off he deserves, and it's not tarnished, RIP young man.

The government seems to think WW2 is in fact taught at KS2; http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/primary/b00199012/history/ks2

A personal thankyou from me to your Gandad, adyfife, for his contribution to our way of life; not just the war, but all the other things his generation fought for. It was a very different world when he was young and every improvement has been hard won.

Respect to your Grandfather.

When you say 'this is what our ancestors died for', what exactly do you mean?

---------- Post added 12-07-2013 at 08:00 ----------

My grandad fought in world war ll but I think if he could see todays uk that he battled for, he wouldnt be very happy.

What are the things about life today that you think he'd be unhappy about?

Archived