What is the point of studying English literature?

Wow, I wish BT were as quick off the mark. That's what I call service!

Thank you. I started reading this thread because I'm interested in the subject, I did Eng Lit at O level during my night school forays into further education some time in the 1970s. I still really enjoy reading.

Surely one of the main benefits of studying English, whether its Lang or Lit, is the recognition of words? I know lots of people don't think decent spelling matters, but I think it makes reading more pleasant. I'm also surprised at some of the wrong words people use.

Just recently I've read; 'of cause' for 'of course'; 'infused' for 'enthused' (I believe that was a teacher) we regularly see 'should of' for 'should have' and a new one recently was 'lone behold' when the expression is actually 'lo and behold'. A good dose of reading might help correct those. ;)

Thank you. I started reading this thread because I'm interested in the subject, I did Eng Lit at O level during my night school forays into further education some time in the 1970s. I still really enjoy reading.

Surely one of the main benefits of studying English, whether its Lang or Lit, is the recognition of words? I know lots of people don't think decent spelling matters, but I think it makes reading more pleasant. I'm also surprised at some of the wrong words people use.

Just recently I've read; 'of cause' for 'of course'; 'infused' for 'enthused' (I believe that was a teacher) we regularly see 'should of' for 'should have' and a new one recently was 'lone behold' when the expression is actually 'lo and behold'. A good dose of reading might help correct those. ;)

I don't know why, because it's a different thing, but when I read this I immediately thought of John Shuttleworth (Jilted John fame). I guess it's just how people get words mixed up ... when being interviewed, he was asked what his most prestigious gig had been. He said that his agent once rang him and said he'd organised a gig with 'Billy Joel'!

Turned out Mr.Shuttleworth had mis-heard and it was a gig at the 'Village Hall' (say it quickly)!

He wasn't bothered though because he got the petrol money, a free parking space outside the hall (with its own fluorescent cone) and a complimentary orange juice at the half-time interval. I love this sort of stuff! :D

I agree that if people read more their understanding of language should improve (although it does nothing to improve spelling, apparently). I'd like to see people generally be more imaginative, interesting and entertaining in their use of language, and avoid constant use of fillers such as 'like' (as in I'm, like, gutted). Some people really are very dreary and dull to listen to. Reading widely definitely encourages linguistic creativity.

I don't know why, because it's a different thing, but when I read this I immediately thought of John Shuttleworth (Jilted John fame). I guess it's just how people get words mixed up ... when being interviewed, he was asked what his most prestigious gig had been. He said that his agent once rang him and said he'd organised a gig with 'Billy Joel'!

Turned out Mr.Shuttleworth had mis-heard and it was a gig at the 'Village Hall' (say it quickly)!

He wasn't bothered though because he got the petrol money, a free parking space outside the hall (with its own fluorescent cone) and a complimentary orange juice at the half-time interval. I love this sort of stuff! :D

I love JS ! We've seen his show many times, including the last time he was in Sheffield where he told that story. But unlike his gaffes, the stuff I saw written down wasn't meant to be funny. :(

Also, by exposing yourself to a wide vocabulary, complex sentences and grammar, metonymy, meta-language, and the history of thought through self expression, some of it may rub off.

And since I believe all meaningful thought is achieved through language, the better your language skills are, the greater precision with which you can think.

We don't know how old Janie is... :)
No, because it isn't relevant.

"Age shall not wither, nor custom stale her infinite variety"- William Shakespeare" ;)

I found what little we studied of Shakespeare at school very boring, but I did a part time English Literature course at Sheffield College a few years ago and that's when I really came to appreciate Shakespeare and other classic writers.

Any one who may be thinking of enrolling, don't hesitate, its never too late to learn and thoroughly enjoyable.

Archived