Crown Green Bowling

Hi

Depends on where you are. Most greens are locked up if there are no members around. Our club is Meersbrook Park. If there is someone there we will always welcome you and you can hire bowls from the hut as well. I know that Millhouses is more accessible and they usually have someone on their hut on a rota as they hire out the tennis courts too.

Happy

Thanks for the responses, I had looked at the parks website also a Sheffield bowling association website http://www.sheffieldcrowngreenbowling.com/clubs.shtml, I have also called down to the Bole Hills, Hillsborough Park and Whitley woods a couple of times, but as Happy25 says, most appear to be operated by the local clubs with limited access times. Was really looking for something Crookes, Hillsborough way

My concern is that as a potential casual bowler who is at work during the day and some weekends where do I start, where are the younger bowlers coming from?

I used to play at Crookesmoor Park, woods for hire there. Now, I am a member at Nether Edge, but it is a members club, and not always open. We have woods available for guests to use, if you would like to set a date, please pm me, and I would be happy to arrange to meet you and let you and your friends have a go. Flat shoes are a must on greens. Nether Edge also sets up a croquet lawn occasionally, and we are even setting up a nine hole putting course. There is, of course, a superb bar, Thwaites Bitter and Abbeydale Moonshine on tap.

• 3 months later...

Iv'e always been a cyclist but now i'm having to give it up for personal reasons i'm 54 but I do have my own woods but the trouble is I have looked into Crown Green Bowls in the past for a new competative sport but nobody seems to want to take you on to learn the ropes.

I want to take this up because I am competative I have looked at Longley, Hillsbrough and Bradfield and all don't seem interested in beginners like me.

I was told I could practice on a green in Longley but this was very rough and I was left alone so I'm ot actually learning the game and format so thats a waste of time

I am a bit surprised at your experience.

Most bowling clubs are looking for new members,particularly novices who have aspiration to improve and perhaps play for one of their teams.

If you were to join Bradfield the basic cost at the moment is £25 p.a and for that you can use the green at all times during the season other than when there is a match on.

We have teams to suit all standards,and if you choose to play then there are additional pay as you play subscriptions.

You would be very welcome so please PM me if you want to pursue.