Where was Bacon Island?

I have recently read ‘The Sheffield Flood’ by Peter Machan. It frequently mentions an area called Bacon Island along the River Don, as being one of the strips that were flooded in 1864. However, no such name occurs in my atlas of Sheffield, and it appears that Bacon Island has ceased to exist.

When I look out of my window, I see the large expanse of hill that separates Walkley from Pitsmoor, and I think the hamlet to the left is Owlerton. Could Bacon Island have been the area towards the South of the hill, which leads into Sheffield city?

I take a great interest in the local history of all the places where I have lived.

This might narrow it down,--

Below Hillfoot Bridge, the river runs directly beside Penistone Road (then known as the 'Low Road'): about 500 yards below the bridge, it makes a sudden sweep away from the road, and across towards Neepsend Lane; however, at this point, in years pasts, the water was channelled along a goit - still close to the 'Low Road' (that site is currently occupied by Osborne's works) and into a Mill Dam a little further along. The effect was to isolate a section of land between the goit/mill dam, and the river; which was known as Bacon Island (this effect is repeated about a half mile further down the river thus creating 'Kelham Island'). At the lower end of Bacon Island - approaching Rutland Road, the area was known as Philadelphia.

I have recently read ‘The Sheffield Flood’ by Peter Machan. It frequently mentions an area called Bacon Island along the River Don, as being one of the strips that were flooded in 1864. However, no such name occurs in my atlas of Sheffield, and it appears that Bacon Island has ceased to exist.

When I look out of my window, I see the large expanse of hill that separates Walkley from Pitsmoor, and I think the hamlet to the left is Owlerton. Could Bacon Island have been the area towards the South of the hill, which leads into Sheffield city?

I take a great interest in the local history of all the places where I have lived.

Philadelphia below the weir.

Archived