Where was Bacon Island?

Interesting to note that "Roylands Street" on the old map becomes "Boyland Street" today...
Interesting indeed, and to add to the complications, the 1881 census return refers to Boylands Street. But the 'R' for 'B' was probably a mis-reading by whomever prepared the old map that I scanned (it is a "Bacon's Town Plan" of c. 1914). By 1891 the census return shows Boyland Street, and the other maps and sources I have (such as the 1905 directory and the 1911 census return) all show this name.

I have recently read ‘The Sheffield Flood’ by Peter Machan. It frequently mentions an area called Bacon Island along the River Don, as being one of the strips that were flooded in 1864. However, no such name occurs in my atlas of Sheffield, and it appears that Bacon Island has ceased to exist.

When I look out of my window, I see the large expanse of hill that separates Walkley from Pitsmoor, and I think the hamlet to the left is Owlerton. Could Bacon Island have been the area towards the South of the hill, which leads into Sheffield city?

I take a great interest in the local history of all the places where I have lived.

You mentioned a Bacon Island it rang a bell for me but it turned out to be Bacon Lane I was thinking about which was off Effingham road

You mentioned a Bacon Island it rang a bell for me but it turned out to be Bacon Lane I was thinking about which was off Effingham road

The one with the bridge over the canal,it was known as bacon bridge.I thought the poster was on about that one when I first read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just getting to know Sheffield and looking for Philadelphia around 1800 - your map showing Bacon Island very helpful.

Pretty please - could you post an other view, just a little left and lower to get a good look at the Cleveland area. Am trying to understand what was there around 1800 and haven't found any good links yet.

Thanks for your reply, have been stuck at the computer since my last post, found the old maps and have been happily printing appropriate sections.

Now - to figure out what my William Stacey and Elizabeth Chilvers were doing in Philadelphia around 1800. I have an idea Methodism may be the answer. Their son William born Philadelphia 1816 became a schoolmaster in Tadcaster then retired to Norwich to be a lay Methodist Preacher - William Stacey - Gent - if you please! a bit grand for a Methodist preacher.

Thanks for your reply, have been stuck at the computer since my last post, found the old maps and have been happily printing appropriate sections.

Now - to figure out what my William Stacey and Elizabeth Chilvers were doing in Philadelphia around 1800. I have an idea Methodism may be the answer. Their son William born Philadelphia 1816 became a schoolmaster in Tadcaster then retired to Norwich to be a lay Methodist Preacher - William Stacey - Gent - if you please! a bit grand for a Methodist preacher.

Possible baptism?

Stacey, William (of Sheffield, born 1816-09-22).

Baptised October 20, 1816, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & William (Bookkeeper).

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ParishBaptismIndex.html

Stacey - Philadelphia

1881 census transcript (Norwich) says born 1817 Philadelphia Sheffield.

The baptism I have for him says 20th December St.Peter Cathedral so that will be right, though St. Peter wasn’t a Cathedral at the time.

Thank you for the details, I didn't know his father was a bookkeeper which sounds right too, William himself became a schoolmaster and ran a boarding school for young gentlemen at Stutton Grove just out of Tadcaster. He retired to a new house in Newmarket Road, Norwich and became a Methodist lay preacher. This was a comfortable middle class family, I am pretty sure from Norfolk which makes their presence in Sheffield interesting. One of William's daughters married a base-born child and another the child of a base-born chap and both men prospered which is a great testament to the schooling and social networking of Methodism in Victorian England.

Charlotte married Colin Brewster who became a fashionable Congregational Minister in Heaton Grove, Manchester and Louisa married James Howes who had the coach building business and agency in Norwich (only recently stopped trading).

Would the family details be useful to you?

I'd love to know a bit more about Philadelphia around 1800, and where William Stacey was engaged in his bookkeeping.

Thank you very much for your interest.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 06:29 ----------

ps : Thanks to Hillsbro for posting the map showing Philadelphia and Cleveland Street clearly, it printed beautifully.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 06:34 ----------

sorry - getting confused - my note of William's baptism does say 20th October 1816.

Archived