Where was Bacon Island?

Stacey - Philadelphia

1881 census transcript (Norwich) says born 1817 Philadelphia Sheffield.

The baptism I have for him says 20th December St.Peter Cathedral so that will be right, though St. Peter wasn’t a Cathedral at the time.

Thank you for the details, I didn't know his father was a bookkeeper which sounds right too, William himself became a schoolmaster and ran a boarding school for young gentlemen at Stutton Grove just out of Tadcaster. He retired to a new house in Newmarket Road, Norwich and became a Methodist lay preacher. This was a comfortable middle class family, I am pretty sure from Norfolk which makes their presence in Sheffield interesting. One of William's daughters married a base-born child and another the child of a base-born chap and both men prospered which is a great testament to the schooling and social networking of Methodism in Victorian England.

Charlotte married Colin Brewster who became a fashionable Congregational Minister in Heaton Grove, Manchester and Louisa married James Howes who had the coach building business and agency in Norwich (only recently stopped trading).

Would the family details be useful to you?

I'd love to know a bit more about Philadelphia around 1800, and where William Stacey was engaged in his bookkeeping.

Thank you very much for your interest.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 06:29 ----------

ps : Thanks to Hillsbro for posting the map showing Philadelphia and Cleveland Street clearly, it printed beautifully.

Burials St. Peter,

STACEY William 6 Feb 1820 age 43 "Sheffield,Philadelphia" bookkeeper

STACEY Elizabeth 27 Aug 1843 age 64 "Sheffield,Philadelphia"

at George Street in 1841 census which would have been in the Philadelphia area

wow - that was quick, thank you.

I wonder if there are more to this family.

William Stacey jnr. married Elizabeth Waterhouse of Tadcaster, the Waterhouses were in the building business; her father was Henry Waterhouse.

The family next to Elizabeth in the 1841 census are Charles and Sarah PEACE

Sarah looks like she was nee Stacey

IGI,

Sarah Stacey Mother, spouse:Charles Peace

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

child:Mary Ann Peace, Christening Date07 Mar 1834

Christening Place CARVER STREET WESLEYAN METHODIST,SHEFFIELD,YORK,ENGLAND

Birth Date01 Apr 1833

Is this conversation in the right place? a long way from Bacon Island !

I just downloaded a will from National Archives but can't be sure it is this family -

William Stacey of Sheffield in the County of York gentleman

Will proved 29th November 1823

Leaves his property in trust (trustee & locations named but I am not familiar with Yorkshire to guess/read the handwriting)

Wife Sarah Stacey

Children John, Mary, William, George, Thomas, Ann & Elizabeth Stacey

Would you like a copy of the will? I think I can email the download.

Is this conversation in the right place? a long way from Bacon Island !

I just downloaded a will from National Archives but can't be sure it is this family -

William Stacey of Sheffield in the County of York gentleman

Will proved 29th November 1823

Leaves his property in trust (trustee & locations named but I am not familiar with Yorkshire to guess/read the handwriting)

Wife Sarah Stacey

Children John, Mary, William, George, Thomas, Ann & Elizabeth Stacey

Would you like a copy of the will? I think I can email the download.

There is a William dies Sep 1823 age 64 Church Street gentleman

and a Sarah age 65 from Church Street 1830.

That will be them. Do you collect probates and such ? Could post it snail-mail or try and forward email.

I looked at the 1841 census today, Elizabeth Stacey living on independent means with the Peace family of file smiths, probably my Elizabeth Stacey but there are an awful lot of Staceys around.

That will be them. Do you collect probates and such ? Could post it snail-mail or try and forward email.

I looked at the 1841 census today, Elizabeth Stacey living on independent means with the Peace family of file smiths, probably my Elizabeth Stacey but there are an awful lot of Staceys around.

No I don't collect probates, if you look at this map second post down,

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/14033-whites-1838-directory-map/

it should give you some idea of Sheffield at a closer date, you will see George Street opposite Bacon Island, Church Street is in the middle of Sheffield, near St. Peter's.

Thank you very much, Whites 1838 map is just what I was hoping to find, together with an image of the parish church. A nice foundation on which to build William Stacey's story.

I have found some very good descriptions of File making in Sheffield, but am particularly interest to learn how the industry was organized, there must have been a system of middlemen to supply materials and find buyers for the finished products .. more digging for today. I guess this is where I'll find the answer to the mystery of a bookkeeper's widow living with a family of file makers, particularly has her son William Stacey had a good classical education. Perhaps there was a well-to-do relative who paid for his education.

---------- Post added 26-08-2013 at 05:37 ----------

Asking again about Bacon Island & Philadelphia

Am I right in thinking that Gilpin Street would once have been George Street?

Was there ever a large house on Cleveland Place which ran along Infirmary Road roughly between Philadelphia Gardens and Midvale Ave?

Still trying to figure out what my Stacey family was up to c.1800. The 1871 census of Norwich shows William Stacey (born Philadelphia Sheffield) living in Cleveland House on Newmarket Road, his parents appear to have been living in George Street when they died, father in 1820, mother in 1843.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 22:25 ----------

Have made progress with my Stacey / Philadelphia inquiries.

The family of William and Elizabeth Stacey were first at Shales Moor where they attended Ebeneezer Methodist Chapel. They later moved to the new housing development of Cleveland Place (on Infirmary Road). Elizabeth Stacey kept a shop and moved across the road to George Street (probably now Gilpin Street).

There were daughters but haven't found them yet. William Stacey b:1816 went to Tadcaster and established Stutton Grove boarding school, James Stacey D.D. b: 1819 became a Methodist minister, secretary of the China Mission etc. I was curious about their education, largely self taught with the help of generous benefactors according to "Methodist Worthies, Characteristic Sketches of Methodist Preachers of Several Denominations" by George John Stevenson. Not a bad result from very modest beginnings.

Archived