Sheffield's other airport

Today I happened to buy a book called 'The North Country' by Graham Turner, published in 1967. In the section about Sheffield, after saying how parochial and insular it is, he goes on to say that this could be due to its poor connections with the outside world. Then comes the following sentence: "It has no airport except United Steel's strip at Apperknowle..."

So was there once an airport at Apperknowle and when did it shut down?

Today I happened to buy a book called 'The North Country' by Graham Turner, published in 1967. In the section about Sheffield, after saying how parochial and insular it is, he goes on to say that this could be due to its poor connections with the outside world. Then comes the following sentence: "It has no airport except United Steel's strip at Apperknowle..."

So was there once an airport at Apperknowle and when did it shut down?

I think there was a small privately owned airport there, it was I believe non commercial and used only by small planes. Never went there but heard of it.

Regarding Sheffield being parochial and insular, I think that was never really true when compared to say, Hull or some of the smaller Yorkshire/Lancashire towns. What insularity there was went away once the M1 arrived.

If I remember correctly, when I was a lad my Dad worked for English Steel and sometimes he had to travel. They used to fly him to Scotland and other places and I am sure he flew from Apperknowle. We were once passing in the car and he pointed it out.

I think there was a small privately owned airport there, it was I believe non commercial and used only by small planes. Never went there but heard of it.

Regarding Sheffield being parochial and insular, I think that was never really true when compared to say, Hull or some of the smaller Yorkshire/Lancashire towns. What insularity there was went away once the M1 arrived.

It's funny you should say that because this book was written just before the M1 came to Sheffield and the author wondered whether that would make a difference.

So does anyone know when the airport at Apperknowle shut down?

Archived