Old Maps or Pictures of Wardsend,Owlerton to Hillfoot!!

I wonder if I could call on the expertise of Sheffield Forum history buffs to come up with any old maps or pictures of the areas mentioned in the thread title?.I have always been interested in the history of the areas I frequented as a youngster,perhaps Hillsboro,Retep or Cuttsie could help me with this as they all seem to be very good at this sort of exercise?.All donations gratefully received!.:help::confused:

Hey up retep,great pictures thanks,I,ve been having a good look first thing I noticed behind Owlerton stadium it was all allotments.My memory was right I remember them all overgrown and being bulldozed to make a football pitch,must have been around late 40s.Also near the power station the big sports ground and Daniel Doncasters cricket ground clearly visable,all the allotments below Scotsmans Hill were still there early 60s at the side of which was a sports ground by Herries Road.Hillfoot School competed in athletics on there I ran a race on it myself,the photos were taken just before they really built it all up spoiling it forever!.:confused::huh:

Hey up retep,great pictures thanks,I,ve been having a good look first thing I noticed behind Owlerton stadium it was all allotments.My memory was right I remember them all overgrown and being bulldozed to make a football pitch,must have been around late 40s.Also near the power station the big sports ground and Daniel Doncasters cricket ground clearly visable,all the allotments below Scotsmans Hill were still there early 60s at the side of which was a sports ground by Herries Road.Hillfoot School competed in athletics on there I ran a race on it myself,the photos were taken just before they really built it all up spoiling it forever!.:confused::huh:

Went down there today with Whitey, Wardsend weir has gone, you could near on walk across most of the Don there, part of Sandbed weir has gone the rest looks more like a stone wall, dry as a bone.

Went down there today with Whitey, Wardsend weir has gone, you could near on walk across most of the Don there, part of Sandbed weir has gone the rest looks more like a stone wall, dry as a bone.

Whilst you were at Wardsend you might have left Whitey there to save taking him back later,he should be about ready now I should think!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Whilst you were at Wardsend you might have left Whitey there to save taking him back later,he should be about ready now I should think!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I tried convincing him an open grave was a secret tunnel but he wouldn't get down it, I'm sure he's smartening up.

I wonder if I could call on the expertise of Sheffield Forum history buffs to come up with any old maps or pictures of the areas mentioned in the thread title?.I have always been interested in the history of the areas I frequented as a youngster,perhaps Hillsboro,Retep or Cuttsie could help me with this as they all seem to be very good at this sort of exercise?.All donations gratefully received!.:help::confused:

There is a map,"Old Ordnance Survey Map" Sheffiels (Neepsend) 1903

The Godfrey Edition.Yorkshire Sheet 294.03,you may find helpful.

I have a photo of Owlerton Hall which was demolished in the 30s so I believe.

If you would like me to e-mail you a copy PM me

Archived