Yorvik centre any good

Like much of the falsely over-praised pre-packaged and very much invented tourism - it is disappointing. Long queues, treated like cattle, hard to access, long way from parking and expensive.

York is one of those places full of history yet packed tight by modern development. The ring roads keep you out. The road system keeps you away from where you want to get and is also impossible to comprehend for the visitor. The useless park and ride is designed to keep cars out of the city and yet you are expected to leave your car miles out, go by bus and then spend the day endlessly walking.

There are too many visitors wandering up and down with little to do. You can throw a postage stamp over its entirety but can't squeeze a postage stamp between the packed hoardes forming queues for a fat rascal, ice cream or cup of tea.

The countryside that surrounds it is free and empty by the way.

From what I remember it's one long queue.

Queue to get in, queue for the ride. The ride takes you round a Viking village, not that impressive to be honest, the staff are in character.

Get off the ride, queue, into a display area where there is a selection of items they've found on the site then end up (as always) in the gift shop.

I can't say it's the kind of place you could go back to very often.

Like much of the falsely over-praised pre-packaged and very much invented tourism - it is disappointing. Long queues, treated like cattle, hard to access, long way from parking and expensive.

York is one of those places full of history yet packed tight by modern development. The ring roads keep you out. The road system keeps you away from where you want to get and is also impossible to comprehend for the visitor. The useless park and ride is designed to keep cars out of the city and yet you are expected to leave your car miles out, go by bus and then spend the day endlessly walking.

There are too many visitors wandering up and down with little to do. You can throw a postage stamp over its entirety but can't squeeze a postage stamp between the packed hoardes forming queues for a fat rascal, ice cream or cup of tea.

The countryside that surrounds it is free and empty by the way.

York is easy to get to and whilst you pay an arm and a leg to park, there are plenty of car parks (Nunnery Lane and Marygate are ideally situated, at the top of Micklegate and by the Ouse, near the soon-to-be-closed-to-motorists Lendal Bridge respectively). I don't bother with park and ride for a number of reasons. The best way to get there is by train.

To say there is nothing to do is ridiculous. There are the walls, Museum Gardens, the two rivers (offering rides or you can hire your own boat); there is the glorious Minster, the National Railway Museum, the narrow streets bustling with tourists and street entertainers.

And then there are the pubs and bars. Can't understand why folk queue for Betty's but that's their choice.

York is a great place let down by a council which makes Sheffield's seem quite good.

As for the Yorvik Centre, it's "okay". I think you'll do it once and tick it off your list. I'd much rather be in Ye Olde Starre Inne!

Archived