Yorvik centre any good

It's very average, and as someone coming from York we were always completely bemused by them queuing all through coppergate. From what I remember it was VERY ££££ for what it is. However, it is really one of those things you 'do' when visiting York, and which after experiencing it you will probably never do it again :)

York is easy to get to and whilst you pay an arm and a leg to park, there are plenty of car parks (Nunnery Lane and Marygate are ideally situated, at the top of Micklegate and by the Ouse, near the soon-to-be-closed-to-motorists Lendal Bridge respectively). I don't bother with park and ride for a number of reasons. The best way to get there is by train.

To say there is nothing to do is ridiculous. There are the walls, Museum Gardens, the two rivers (offering rides or you can hire your own boat); there is the glorious Minster, the National Railway Museum, the narrow streets bustling with tourists and street entertainers.

And then there are the pubs and bars. Can't understand why folk queue for Betty's but that's their choice.

York is a great place let down by a council which makes Sheffield's seem quite good.

As for the Yorvik Centre, it's "okay". I think you'll do it once and tick it off your list. I'd much rather be in Ye Olde Starre Inne!

Have you been in the Olde Starre since it had a refurb?

I agree that Yorvik is a little disappointing the ride through the viking village is ok at best and the displays in the museum part are not much to shout about, you'll be in and out in no time.

The Castle Museum is much better.

Have you been in the Olde Starre since it had a refurb?

I agree that Yorvik is a little disappointing the ride through the viking village is ok at best and the displays in the museum part are not much to shout about, you'll be in and out in no time.

The Castle Museum is much better.

No, but I am only too aware it's had a refurb.

I shall wait till the cold weather returns, the hen does and stag parties leave and when the Old Peculier is back on tap!

No, but I am only too aware it's had a refurb.

I shall wait till the cold weather returns, the hen does and stag parties leave and when the Old Peculier is back on tap!

I was curious as I was involved in the planning stages of it for about 18months but left the company before the refurb actually happened, the plans were to move the kitchen into an out building to increase the size of the interior.

The Canterbury equivalent, (The Canterbury Tales based on Chaucers stories) which I think is owned by the same company, is even worse.

A total rip-off.

When I went a few years ago the figures were cardboard cut-outs:gag:

At least those in Jorvik were realistic models.

Its quite educational for kids though. A ride round a viking "town", 3d videos, printing your own coins, old artefacts and a "time machine". I personally enjoyed it but it isn't for everyone.

On another note - there is parking just round the corner.

S having taken the trouble to read every post the overwhelming concensus is that it's an expensive waste of time.

Where some town bound hill walker defends the place he recommends walking, here there and every where. Even on the river!

It's clearly a rip off and to be avoided. It remains an old fashioned collection of relics surrounded by modernity. That mix, confined to a postage stamp area doesn't walk in today's car driver age.

You can't get there quickly or easily and when you do the parking costs add to the expense. Looking around the Minster [ I'm already falling asleep at the very thought] doesn't quite do it for me. Neither does the risk of a broken ankle [walking again] up the cobbled streets.

We've all got cobbled streets but fortunately most of them are thankfully under 3 inch of tarmac.

Rip off on the river, ice-cream costs through the roof, expensive pubs and restaurants. OK. After you eat, walk and pay to go in and out, what is there to do?

Go for another walk!

Blimey - must get the fortnight's holiday booked. Just think...... 2 weeks of queuing in York!

Archived