The things we bought 50s,60s with spending money

mcleod

My first job was being a "trapper" down t pit when I was six. I worked 18 hours a day, six days a week opening and closing t wooden doors to let the air through (Sunday I had to go to church and help vicar polish his candle stick). Out of my three farthings a years that I got paid I had to buy all my own candles. That job lasted for five years then I got the offer of a better job so I took it. I spent the next five years goin' up t chimneys for rich folk cleaning soot out but at least I got a shilling a year. I once got stuck and had to wait 18 months while I lost a bit of weight and was able to slide out. The owner of the house charged me 18 months rent so by the time I got out I owed him £2 3s 5d

Arrr, the good ol days

---------- Post added 15-07-2013 at 10:44 ----------

[quote Are we talkin' 1857 or 1957 :hihi:

Cheeky :hihi: I'm not THAT old....1957 ....I still have a few 78's from then as well.

Only kidding Joanl, you look lovely and not a day over 100 :D

Oh the memories....they were on a roll inserted in the gun.

They kind of went..puffttt!....and we thought they were great, lol.

Caps were great, loved the smell of them. I discovered that if you hit the whole roll with a hammer it made a deafening bang.

Caps were great, loved the smell of them. I discovered that if you hit the whole roll with a hammer it made a deafening bang.

Loved the smell of caps when gone off, I've also noticed when I've hit my thumb with a hammer I've made a deafening noise.:hihi::hihi:

I used to buy comics, Dandy & Beano, mibs, spice, black jacks my favourite, mind you I was 15 before I realised that piggy bank under the stairs where I'd been saving all me bobs, was the gas meter :hihi::hihi:

I remember going to the news agents and buying £1 of penny bangers after we had been guying. 240 for £1. No such thing as health and safety then. We'd walk out with our pocket stuffed with em. The good ol days :thumbsup:

Yes we had spud guns, catapults and the like never blew ourselves up

We made a hand held rocket launcher out of Mechano. It wasn’t a very good idea as it turned out. Aiming it with one eye shut and the other looking down the rocket turned out to be a silly idea. I lost my eyebrows and part of my hair.

Oh the good ol days

Steptoad made me remember about those rockets you could buy that you put caps in before you threw them. there was also a bomb that had a piece of string that took caps too. I used to get a threpny bit some days and Spanish gold was fourpence so I would go halves with our Marg and buy some fruit salads and mojos 4 a penny.

Beano and Dandy were 3d but I had a morning paper round which paid 8 bob a week so I didn't need to buy them. Decimalisation screwed us kids over sommat wicked. Stuff was still 4 a penny but there were only 5 pennies to a bob after that.

---------- Post added 15-07-2013 at 15:36 ----------

was working by 49 so first thing was to buy a 5speed so i good bike to work

You left school a bit late, didn't the little kids laugh at you?. In the 1950's when I went to school I don't ever remember em keeping slow kids back a year. I thought that was a septic tank thing.

That reminds me, during firework season, I used to spend my daily allowance on coloured matches that burned with either a red or green flame. I can't have been any older than seven years old and the newsagent always asked me who they were for. I always told him that they were for my dad, it never crossed my mind that he must've wondered why my dad needed a box of coloured matches every day.:suspect:

Archived