The things we bought 50s,60s with spending money

mcleod

Fishing nets on a cane were 3d and made it easier to catch sticklebacks than Grandmas old stockings. More often than not we would try and catch butterflies or grasshoppers with them. They never really lasted that long yet seemed to be as important to a kid in the park as a bucket and spade was on the beach.

Oh the firework season......

I used to "borrow" some of mi dads old work clothes which were far too big for me.

Piece of string around the waist to make the trousers fit.....string below mi shoes tying the end of the trousers. Same with the oversize shirt hiding mi hands.

A brown paper bag with eye holes cut into it over mi head.

Great fun !

The surprise on folks faces when the guy suddenly moved and asked for a penny.

Most folks gave the penny and thanked me for the laugh.

God someone might have thrown you on the bonfire! :o:hihi:

Oh the firework season......

I used to "borrow" some of mi dads old work clothes which were far too big for me.

Piece of string around the waist to make the trousers fit.....string below mi shoes tying the end of the trousers. Same with the oversize shirt hiding mi hands.

A brown paper bag with eye holes cut into it over mi head.

Great fun !

The surprise on folks faces when the guy suddenly moved and asked for a penny.

Most folks gave the penny and thanked me for the laugh.

I never knew if this was an urban myth, but grew up in the 60's being told of a young lad who did that and was in Pond Street, where he was stabbed to see if it was a guy.

As I say never found out if true, or urban myth.

I never knew if this was an urban myth, but grew up in the 60's being told of a young lad who did that and was in Pond Street, where he was stabbed to see if it was a guy.

As I say never found out if true, or urban myth.

You are correct I heard that too hence we never tried it ...................our favourate spot was outside the Ball Inn or Dr Willies lolol..........................x

not sure i count, wasnt born till 69 lol, but going on towards late 70s i reemmber laying away action man gear at woodhus village post office

brilliant when youd finally paid and got to take em home :)

and later on id by the pop ex 7" singles from there too

You are correct I heard that too hence we never tried it ...................our favourate spot was outside the Ball Inn or Dr Willies lolol..........................x

I heard that too, still it didn't stop us letting a couple of students kick our fake guy for an extra few pence:hihi:

Archived