The things we bought 50s,60s with spending money

mcleod

Yes Jubbly's were ace and bigger than they are now, as you say Wagon Wheels were also, I can also remember buying ginger cartwheels. These were massive ginger biscuits about 3-4" across, anyone else remember them.

Pete

Perhaps your hands just got bigger Pete. :)

I think you'll find that Pete is right Jim.

My dads lorry got a puncture on the Woodhead and he found the spare was flat.

Instead of panicking,Dad reached into his snap tin and took out a wagon wheel that Mam had packed him up.

He took off the punctured tyre and fitted the wagon wheel and it did 30,000 miles before it wore through the thick chocolate to the squishy bit inside.

I think you'll find that Pete is right Jim.

My dads lorry got a puncture on the Woodhead and he found the spare was flat.

Instead of panicking,Dad reached into his snap tin and took out a wagon wheel that Mam had packed him up.

He took off the punctured tyre and fitted the wagon wheel and it did 30,000 miles before it wore through the thick chocolate to the squishy bit inside.

It's a little known fact that Wagon Wheels first made their appearance in the 19th century. American settlers used them to fed their families when trekking in their wagon trains. It was purely by accident that they were found to be a perfect replacement if the wheel on a wagon broke, it quickly become common to refer to those chocolate covered biscuits as 'wagon wheels'. The name stuck and the manufacturers eventually adopted it as their logo.

The term 'wagons ho' originally referred to the wagon master calling a halt to the meal break and to put away your Wagon Wheels.

Strange but true.

It's a little known fact that Wagon Wheels first made their appearance in the 19th century. American settlers used them to fed their families when trekking in their wagon trains. It was purely by accident that they were found to be a perfect replacement if the wheel on a wagon broke, it quickly become common to refer to those chocolate covered biscuits as 'wagon wheels'. The name stuck and the manufacturers eventually adopted it as their logo.

The term 'wagons ho' originally referred to the wagon master calling a halt to the meal break and to put away your Wagon Wheels.

Strange but true.

Well i never ... you live and learn :hihi: :hihi:

You'll be telling me next that a caveman dropped his and when it rolled away had a Eureka moment ... oops sorry wrong invention.

Well i never ... you live and learn :hihi: :hihi:

You'll be telling me next that a caveman dropped his and when it rolled away had a Eureka moment ... oops sorry wrong invention.

That would be daft, chocolate didn't exist then....

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 17:26 ----------

Jubblys were luvvely...

• 1 month later...
Toffee apples from a Manor Estate council house, you could buy one without the apple for a penny.

Hello !! I can remember there was a man at Fairleigh on the Manor, who used to make Kites for the local kids. I can remember my Mum taking me to buy one on a hot summer's day, though I think they were slightly more than a penny.

On my 15th birthday (1947) I asked for money instead of presents. The item I wanted was a sheath knife, 8" approx. long with a handle made of leather rings. I bought the knife from a shop on the Wicker. Never be able to do that today!

Archived