Suggestions needed for a change of bank.

Yeah, the tax payer.

Good point. Not quite all of it. Only 40% which is likely to be sold off back private soon once the shares pick up a bit. Its not quite as bad as the rediculous 81% in RBS.

Anyway for the OP here is a little guide from MoneySupermarket. Showing who exactly owns who.

Be careful who you pick for. Brand names mean piddle all these days. They are all linked webs everywhere.

>>Banco Santander, Spain >>>>>

Santander

(formerly Abbey)

Alliance & Leicester

ASDA

Bradford & Bingley

Cahoot

Carter Allen Finance

>>Lloyds Banking Group, UK>>>>

Bank of Scotland

Lloyds TSB

The AA

Birmingham Midshires/BM Savings

Halifax

Intelligent Finance

Cheltenham & Gloucester

Saga

Sainsburys Bank

>>Bank of Ireland (Ireland)>>>>>

Bristol & West

Bank of Ireland

Northridge Finance

Post Office

>>Barclays Bank PLC>>>>>

Barclays

Woolwich

Standard Life

>>National Australia Bank Group>>>>>

Clydesdale Bank

Yorkshire Bank

>>Citigroup Inc (USA)>>>>>

Citibank

Citycard

Egg

>>HSBC Group>>>>>

First Direct

Sainsburys Bank

M&S Bank

>>ING n.v (Netherlands)>>>>>

ING Direct

Kaupthing Edge 2

Heritable Bank 2

>>Royal Bank of Scotland plc>>>>>

NatWest

Direct Line

Coutts

Whiteaway Laidlaw

Royal Bank of Scotland

( up to 2008 ) Tesco Personal Finance

>>Nationwide Building Society>>>>>

Nationwide

Cheshire Building Society

Derbshire Buidling Society

Dunfermline Buidling Society

>>Skipton Building Society UK Limited>>>>>

Skipton Building Society

Scarborough Building Society

Capital One Bank

Chesham Building Society

>>The Cooperative Group>>>>>

The Co-operative Bank

smile

Britannia Building Society

Quite interesting when you look who is REALLY pulling the strings behind the marketing frontage.

Its amazing to think between the greed of the black horse and the great unexpected spanish inquisition there are any actually independant banking suppliers left!

Why do people let themselves be bullied like this ? Just state clearly you've no intention of listening to their sales pitch and if it continues you'll ask for the manager.

It wasn't bullying as such, more like a fly buzzing around my head and returning after being batted away. I didn't tolerate it and moved away from the fly's natural habitat.

It wouldn't have made sense to call for the person who instructed the staff in their duties, having in turn been instructed to encourage this behaviour by their own manager in the chain of command. They'd have made a nauseating public show of being on my side and either patted the staff member on their back in private or worse, have disciplined them for doing, in essence, what they've been told to do. The approach is too consistent for it to be the work of individual rogues.

When troubled overmuch by flies, it's time to get out of the swamp.

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 00:54 ----------

Banks only exist to make money, they are not their to serve the public. It's all about give and take. You scratch their back, they scratch yours. My bank gives me anything I want because I allow them to take a little off the top in everything I do. They need to take their cut, even if it's not deserved, that's the price of doing business. This is why I always preach, during the good times, always be doing something to gain the love and trust of your bank, that way, when you need them during the bad times, they will be there for you. If you only go to them when you want something, just like a woman, they will ask, but what have you done for me lately? So currently, if your bank is not behaving in a way you require, it's because they feel unloved by you right now.

I don't think emotions as unmechanical as love and trust come into it to be honest but I appreciate your advice. I just want something simple, somewhere to stick my wages that's a bit more secure than underneath my mattress.

It's like when I go into a shop to buy a shirt. I don't want someone pouncing on me and gladhanding me as soon as I walk through the door, trying to get me to set up an account, steering me towards a rack they'll earn commission on, giving me the sales pitch and trying to butter me up. I want to go there, get what I came for for and get out before my nerve endings are shredded by overwhelming complications and oleaginous insincerity.

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 00:59 ----------

Yorkshire Bank have never bothered me about anything. I guess I am of little interest to them. All I want from a bank is to ‘keep my money for me’ and ‘not swallow my card in their ATMs’. I don’t do all the fancy stuff. It’s like a digital safe, really. There is nowt else I require.

That sounds exactly like what I'm after. Could I go to them and get them to close my old account and transfer my funds for me? I don't want to go back to my bank and have to deal with manipulative, obstructive crap anymore.

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 01:12 ----------

Good point. Not quite all of it. Only 40% which is likely to be sold off back private soon once the shares pick up a bit. Its not quite as bad as the rediculous 81% in RBS.

Anyway for the OP here is a little guide from MoneySupermarket. Showing who exactly owns who.

Be careful who you pick for. Brand names mean piddle all these days. They are all linked webs everywhere.

>>Banco Santander, Spain >>>>>

Santander

(formerly Abbey)

Alliance & Leicester

ASDA

Bradford & Bingley

Cahoot

Carter Allen Finance

>>Lloyds Banking Group, UK>>>>

Bank of Scotland

Lloyds TSB

The AA

Birmingham Midshires/BM Savings

Halifax

Intelligent Finance

Cheltenham & Gloucester

Saga

Sainsburys Bank

>>Bank of Ireland (Ireland)>>>>>

Bristol & West

Bank of Ireland

Northridge Finance

Post Office

>>Barclays Bank PLC>>>>>

Barclays

Woolwich

Standard Life

>>National Australia Bank Group>>>>>

Clydesdale Bank

Yorkshire Bank

>>Citigroup Inc (USA)>>>>>

Citibank

Citycard

Egg

>>HSBC Group>>>>>

First Direct

Sainsburys Bank

M&S Bank

>>ING n.v (Netherlands)>>>>>

ING Direct

Kaupthing Edge 2

Heritable Bank 2

>>Royal Bank of Scotland plc>>>>>

NatWest

Direct Line

Coutts

Whiteaway Laidlaw

Royal Bank of Scotland

( up to 2008 ) Tesco Personal Finance

>>Nationwide Building Society>>>>>

Nationwide

Cheshire Building Society

Derbshire Buidling Society

Dunfermline Buidling Society

>>Skipton Building Society UK Limited>>>>>

Skipton Building Society

Scarborough Building Society

Capital One Bank

Chesham Building Society

>>The Cooperative Group>>>>>

The Co-operative Bank

smile

Britannia Building Society

Quite interesting when you look who is REALLY pulling the strings behind the marketing frontage.

Its amazing to think between the greed of the black horse and the great unexpected spanish inquisition there are any actually independant banking suppliers left!

I'm not so great at retaining information like that and consistently remaining conscious of what goes on beneath the surface but I've read enough Private Eyes to be aware that a small group of actors are applying different greasepaint behind the scenes and playing other roles.

Ideally, I'd like an independent bank with some sense of ethics that is well established and not about to go tits up. In the short term, I'd settle for one that doesn't attempt to bother me and act like a used car salesman.

I've been with First Direct for years and can not fault them. Great service and helpful, friendly staff.

On the rare occasion I need a counter it's HSBC.

I agree. FD virtually never makes any errors; it has a 24/7/365 switchboard in the UK; and its website's easy to use.

Could I go to them and get them to close my old account and transfer my funds for me? I don't want to go back to my bank and have to deal with manipulative, obstructive crap anymore.

Well, I came from abroad when I opened the account, so cannot tell you for certain. It was fairly easy, though. I think you could just send your old bank a letter.

Banks only exist to make money, they are not their to serve the public. It's all about give and take. You scratch their back, they scratch yours. My bank gives me anything I want because I allow them to take a little off the top in everything I do. They need to take their cut, even if it's not deserved, that's the price of doing business. This is why I always preach, during the good times, always be doing something to gain the love and trust of your bank, that way, when you need them during the bad times, they will be there for you. If you only go to them when you want something, just like a woman, they will ask, but what have you done for me lately? So currently, if your bank is not behaving in a way you require, it's because they feel unloved by you right now.

You're talking a load of old rubbish. The bank is an organisation, it doesn't have any feelings for you, it won't 'remember' your behaviour during the good times if times go bad, and to be honest I'm not even sure what you're suggesting you could do during those good times.

You're talking a load of old rubbish. The bank is an organisation, it doesn't have any feelings for you, it won't 'remember' your behaviour during the good times if times go bad, and to be honest I'm not even sure what you're suggesting you could do during those good times.

I am not talking rubbish. Just because you don't understand something or have any experience doesn't make it rubbish. It just means you need to learn more. My bank does have feelings for me, they show me how much they love me through the very favourable interest rate and products they offer me, things they don't offer other customers who don't prove their love like I do.

Take HSBC for instance, they have a Premier account. They are very honest and upfront about how much love they want before they will even give you this account and all the associate rewards of holding a premier account with them.

Eligibility requirements

HSBC Premier is available to you, as long as you pay your annual income into your HSBC Premier Bank Account and either:

have savings or investments of at least £50,000 with HSBC in the UK; or

have an individual annual income of at least £100,000 and one of the following products with HSBC in the UK:

- a mortgage;

- an investment, life insurance or protection product;

Or, qualify for HSBC Premier in another country.

and if at anytime you don't qualify any more in the future, they will take this account and it's rewards away regardless of whether you used to qualify.

Now, this is just an example for the average Joe.

Think of what is offered to major billy big balls high flyers like me. That's right, I show them the love, and and they give me the love back in spades so I can take hold of every opportunity that comes my way. You need to read up more lad, you're losing out and don't even know it.

Archived