Funny cafe owner at Castleton

He's a charmer, when we were out walking in the peak we stopped off in Castleton for a drink, he was so very rude, said its all these effin tourists coming in and not spending any money and don't get him started on cavers and walkers and those damned cyclists!

My jaw nearly hit the floor when he then started talking about "working like a n****r, and not getting a living wage" he has awful coffee, no respect for the customer and too much 'quality' competition. Don't dare just ask for coffee or you'll be booted out quicker than he can shout Maxwell House at you. :hihi:

Oh I get it, this poor guy is supposed to just serve teas and allow his cheapskate customers to put him out of business. Here's a suggestion, how about showing some consideration for these small businesses who stay open long hours year round just so that you bloody "hikers" can get some food and drink whilst you USE the area as your stomping ground. Put your hand into those very deep pockets, fish out that £20 note covered in cobwebs and show some appreciation for the small business owner. Stop thinking take take take, and give back to the area you use and enjoy.

Oh I get it, this poor guy is supposed to just serve teas and allow his cheapskate customers to put him out of business. Here's a suggestion, how about showing some consideration for these small businesses who stay open long hours year round just so that you bloody "hikers" can get some food and drink whilst you USE the area as your stomping ground. Put your hand into those very deep pockets, fish out that £20 note covered in cobwebs and show some appreciation for the small business owner. Stop thinking take take take, and give back to the area you use and enjoy.

No the 'poor guy' misses out on all the money spent in Castleton because of his attitude. Have you been there in the spring/summer? Every cafe/pub/ B&B/gift shop and outdoor shop is overflowing with visitors with very deep pockets.

There is plenty of money spent in Castleton just not there. (I personally like a hearty lunch in the George and a few pints. )

No the 'poor guy' misses out on all the money spent in Castleton because of his attitude.

err NO, he misses out on "all" the money because the "hikers" will only order tea or other drinks. How is he supposed to make a living from just selling hot drinks. And the reason his tearoom is so worn is because the bloody "hikers" with their big clumpy boots traipse mud everywhere and then just order a drink. Hikers, probably the most selfish bunch of people in existence. No doubt you're a hiker with that attitude. :rolleyes:

No the 'poor guy' misses out on all the money spent in Castleton because of his attitude. Have you been there in the spring/summer? Every cafe/pub/ B&B/gift shop and outdoor shop is overflowing with visitors with very deep pockets.

There is plenty of money spent in Castleton just not there. (I personally like a hearty lunch in the George and a few pints. )

I think you've been absent from SF too long, Ms Fox, as you've lost the ability to spot someone who's obviously an old hand at casting the bait.

As for the cafe bloke, you could, at a stretch, write him off as a 'character', but that inspection report is frightening.

I was at Castleton at the weekend, and we plonked our bums on a couple of seats outside a cafe (which was empty) and asked the guy for two coffees...the guy didnt want to sell just two coffees and told us that he only sells drinks with meals...and that he turns people away if they dont have a meal...as we got up to leave, he then changed his mind and said he would allow us to have two coffees :huh:

does anyone else find this strange, i am sure there are loads of cafes about that a more than happy for peoples custom :huh:

---------------------

Should have told him to pi-- off, can spend yer money anywhere:gag:gag:

Yes, I'm tempted to visit this establishment now forewarned, for the curiosity value.

However, his 'sales technique' apart, I'm curious as to how bad a place has to be hygiene wise before it's closed down by the health inspectors.

I've just had a quick scan through the inspectors reports from the links above, and looks like he's had multiple warnings/ err suggestions on things he needs to do re cleaning/ storeage of foods etc and he's not complied.

People are still reporting rank smell/ dirty cups etc.

Anyone from Public Health ( or whatever the authority are these days) who can clarify?

Does the 'scores on the doors' operate in Castleton?