Funny cafe owner at Castleton

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms-Shapes

Yes, I'm tempted to visit this establishment now forewarned, for the curiosity value.

On the off chance he is still open for business, what will you be ordering Ms-Shapes?

Hopefully not green potatoes or infested scones.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I wonder if this is the same man that was arguing with the guy from the 2nd hand shop in Castleton when I visted last year, I think he was working in a cafe at the time and he was erm a little odd to say the least, They were chasing each other up and down the road hurling abuse at each other. It was a little uncomfortable to be around.

Damn....thats the guy, you nailed it.....that was him ....he was moaning like hell about the guy from the Antique shop saying he was selling just coffee to people...and openly staring/intimidating him as he sat outside his own shop minding his own business, he was as weird as hell and seemed seriously disturbed...

Coincidentally, the guy from the Antique shop is a character himself, looking slightly like catweezel, but with a quirky sense of humour....but of thoroughly good character

Was it this guy?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g499576-d2518786-Reviews-The_Hidden_Tearoom_and_Bistro-Castleton_Hope_Valley_Derbyshire_England.html

I have never eaten/drank there, but having had discourse with him, I can assure you that he is an unpleasant nutcase of the first order.

Is this the guy..? is this the one i am talking about.? :huh:

I wrote the first review on Tripadvisor for this place. I like the guy that runs it, yes he's a little quirky and perhaps very grumpy, but he works hard and has just had a hip replacement which he had no time off work for as he couldn't afford to. After a 20 minute conversation with him, I found him to be a nice bloke and have been back several times. His tea is very good and his scones are very tasty too. This ain't Betty's tea rooms but after a long walk around the Peak District, it's perfect for me.

I like this review...

Absolutely incredible experience . The owner of this tea room makes Basil Fawlty look like Egon Ronay The.dirty ,disgusting ,rude ,man who was outside smoking was the owner and after we went upstairs he like stated by other reviewers tried to force scones on us .

It sounds so bad it's tempting me to go, it sounds like Basil Fawlty has had a nervous breakdown & moved to Castleton.

No the 'poor guy' misses out on all the money spent in Castleton because of his attitude.

Exactly. After going in there to buy coffee and scones after a walk and listening to his rant about how hikers are cheapskates who never spend any money I won't be going back - the final straw was when after having the coffee I asked if they have a toilet I was told "yes, but its for staff only" - how ridiculous is that?

I also know someone who was threatened by an owner of a cafe in Castelton for wanting to buy only one scone (I don't know if its the same cafe though) instead of two.