Funny cafe owner at Castleton

I wrote the first review on Tripadvisor for this place. I like the guy that runs it, yes he's a little quirky and perhaps very grumpy, but he works hard and has just had a hip replacement which he had no time off work for as he couldn't afford to. After a 20 minute conversation with him, I found him to be a nice bloke and have been back several times. His tea is very good and his scones are very tasty too. This ain't Betty's tea rooms but after a long walk around the Peak District, it's perfect for me.

Not hard enough to be pleasant to customers and obviously not hard enough to pass multiple hygiene inspections.

We all know proprietors who are a little bit eccentric (3 Stags Heads, Grindleford Cafe, Cask and Wellington) but he sounds utterly obnoxious.

Not hard enough to be pleasant to customers and obviously not hard enough to pass multiple hygiene inspections.

We all know proprietors who are a little bit eccentric (3 Stags Heads, Grindleford Cafe, Cask and Wellington) but he sounds utterly obnoxious.

The last time I was in the Three Stags Heads (I presume you mean the one at Wardlow?), an eagle came and sat on the back of the chair I was sat on! ... scared me s*****ss! :gag: Whippets all over the place, dead cat up the chimney and a sign on the bar saying that if you ask for lager, don't be surprised if you're hit about the head with a baseball bat. Most of the food on the menu was what'd been shot that morning.

Very eccentric landlord, hippyish ... I get the impression from a very well to do family, judging by the pictures on the wall. Nice bloke. :)