Matial Arts Clubs of the 70's

My Husband began training in Wado Ryu 1965 under Danny Conner at the Seidokan Club on Leopold Street. Then Danny and Roy Stanhope invited Tatsuo Susuki, Toru Tekamazowa, Masafumi Shiomitzu, Hayakawa to become their Instructors at Cemetry Road.. The training was gruelling and strict....Japanese was used at all times.

We had some good times with the Japanese, Roy, and Danny and recall vividly a night at the Oasis in Manchester. I think that was the club's name - Somebody might be able to put me right. Hayakawa was a very good looking bloke and constantly sang 'Winchester Cathedral.'

Then Roy introduced Shotokan practitioner Yoshi Sumi and for a brief period before changing allegiance in 1968 to Shukokai under Shigiru (Shigi) Kimura and Chojiro Tani who was the founder of Shukokai; Yosh Nambu, and Kiri Ikizaki. Kiri was a cheeky chap who Roy 'taught' to swear; and he was mortified when I told him what Roy had done. Husband achieved Black Belt in 1968, and was was in the British Shukokai Team, with Roy Stanhope, Stan Knighton, Miles Burke and Pete Conserdine. We made some great aquaintances during this period... Tikki Donovan/London, Tommy Morris/Glasgow, Miles and Ian Burke/Glasgow, big John Blumming/Netherlands, Eddie Daniels/Birmingham and all the French team; Guy Sauvon, Pat Baroux, Didier, Lavolata, the fifth name escapes me?

My Husband trained hard five times a week as well as Instructing in Huddersfield and competing at the weekend. He retired first in 1973 with cruciate ligament damage, but then went back for another two or three years until his knee went completely. Then sadly all contact was lost.. although I do very occasionally see Stan out and about, and he is still fully engrossed in the game.

It's sad to see how many of these Karateka are now gone, but their memories are still strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived