Going on holiday (Robin Hood's Bay)! Advice please ..

Well ... last year, me (A/B) and girlfriend (G/F) went to the Yorkshire Dales for our summer holiday. I started a post about it as I was interested as to wether anyone could recommend any really nice places to visit.

And you did! :thumbsup: ... a day out to the Wensleydale Cheese emporium through the back roads from Kilnsey to Hawes was brill! Bought loads of cheese and I can now do a VERY passable Wallace impersonation! :D Malham cove was superb too (although I suffered a vertiginous moment and had to eat an emergency energy bestowing sandwich as a result).

This year (five days to be precise), we're booked in at a holiday cottage in Fylingdales (closest place we could get last minute to the coast ... looks very nice though).

Once again I ask ... any recommendations of particularly interesting places to go? Off the beaten track's fine and we love walking ... historical stuff, picturesque, galleries, restaurants (nice ones ... not Mc.Donald's), nice quiet places for picnics etc? Also, boat hire places ... are there any in the area, sea or lake (30 mile radius) Think you get the gist ... thanks! :)

Well ... last year, me (A/B) and girlfriend (G/F) went to the Yorkshire Dales for our summer holiday. I started a post about it as I was interested as to wether anyone could recommend any really nice places to visit.

And you did! :thumbsup: ... a day out to the Wensleydale Cheese emporium through the back roads from Kilnsey to Hawes was brill! Bought loads of cheese and I can now do a VERY passable Wallace impersonation! :D Malham cove was superb too (although I suffered a vertiginous moment and had to eat an emergency energy bestowing sandwich as a result).

This year (five days to be precise), we're booked in at a holiday cottage in Fylingdales (closest place we could get last minute to the coast ... looks very nice though).

Once again I ask ... any recommendations of particularly interesting places to go? Off the beaten track's fine and we love walking ... historical stuff, picturesque, galleries, restaurants (nice ones ... not Mc.Donald's), nice quiet places for picnics etc? Also, boat hire places ... are there any in the area, sea or lake (30 mile radius) Think you get the gist ... thanks! :)

There's a nice coastal path from Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby that i've run a few times when up that way. It's about 10km either way?

You must go to Staithes. Whitby is also well worth a visit but I'm sure Mel will post more.

Scarborough Castle is OK and there are some (I think) Bronte graves there.

Stayed in Whitby a couple of Christmases ago ... it was fantastic! Kite flying on the beach Christmas morning! :)

Forgot Mel lived there :gag: (only joking!)

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 16:25 ----------

There's a nice coastal path from Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby that i've run a few times when up that way. It's about 10km either way?

Sounds good ... probably have a bash at that! :)

Stayed in Whitby a couple of Christmases ago ... it was fantastic! Kite flying on the beach Christmas morning! :)

Forgot Mel lived there :gag: (only joking!)

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 16:25 ----------

Sounds good ... probably have a bash at that! :)

we used to go up on the moors kite flying, windy up there lol

yeah staithes is good if you like quaint owd little fishing villages

http://www.chromavision.co.uk/yt/assets/photos/staithes_3.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/122100/staithes-from-cowbar.jpg

theres 3 pubs and a few cafes, art gallery thing, normally crafty type places open too

when you coming up? august 2 - 4th theres staithes lifeboat day on, come stand and get ****** on the seafront with the locals all day and have a fight in the evening with the local chav hordes from neighbouring loftus at the disco lol

if you like walking, you can do the cleveland way walk, not sure where it goes from whitby tbh, but the other way it goes through whitby, sandsend and on to runswick bay, port mulgrave, staithes

if you have a car drive into whitby, scarborough, bus fares on the scarborough end are atrocious

My favourite resort along the coast is Saltburn, which is doing its best to retain some charm and has a lovely pier. The walk from the coast inwards along Skelton Beck is lovely and has lots of little opportunities to stop for a look around.

Our favourite beach is not at a resort at all though. Skinningrove is a small fishing community but the north beach is wonderful and unusually for that area of the coast, has parking at sea level rather than at the top of cliffs that you need to climb up and down. If you visit Skinningrove you will need to take everything you need for your visit though, because there's not even a public toilet there. It's lovely to be at the seaside without the smell of chips and popcorn though.

My favourite resort along the coast is Saltburn, which is doing its best to retain some charm and has a lovely pier. The walk from the coast inwards along Skelton Beck is lovely and has lots of little opportunities to stop for a look around.

Our favourite beach is not at a resort at all though. Skinningrove is a small fishing community but the north beach is wonderful and unusually for that area of the coast, has parking at sea level rather than at the top of cliffs that you need to climb up and down. If you visit Skinningrove you will need to take everything you need for your visit though, because there's not even a public toilet there. It's lovely to be at the seaside without the smell of chips and popcorn though.

need to watch yersen in skinningrove tho lol, full of chavs, the "pub" is the type where they all turn and stare at you, a la american werewolf in london

it also featured on britains roughest villages or whatever it was called

Archived