Going on holiday (Robin Hood's Bay)! Advice please ..

need to watch yersen in skinningrove tho lol, full of chavs, the "pub" is the type where they all turn and stare at you, a la american werewolf in london

it also featured on britains roughest villages or whatever it was called

Been there loads of times, stayed there repeatedly and never had problems. We don't tend to drink in pubs though, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

If you want to go for a drink and don't fancy that pub, we've always found the Britannia in Loftus (just at the top of the cliff above Skinningrove) very welcoming.

My favourite resort along the coast is Saltburn, which is doing its best to retain some charm and has a lovely pier. The walk from the coast inwards along Skelton Beck is lovely and has lots of little opportunities to stop for a look around.

Our favourite beach is not at a resort at all though. Skinningrove is a small fishing community but the north beach is wonderful and unusually for that area of the coast, has parking at sea level rather than at the top of cliffs that you need to climb up and down. If you visit Skinningrove you will need to take everything you need for your visit though, because there's not even a public toilet there. It's lovely to be at the seaside without the smell of chips and popcorn though.

Yeah, we're going to Saltburn (we tried to get a holiday let there). Looks great! Saw a programme about the water powered lift, so that's on the list! (even though it's aparrently a 'funny colour' :))

Been there loads of times, stayed there repeatedly and never had problems. We don't tend to drink in pubs though, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

If you want to go for a drink and don't fancy that pub, we've always found the Britannia in Loftus (just at the top of the cliff above Skinningrove) very welcoming.

now yer pushing it :P

loftus is where all the trouble originates around here lol (whether its whitby regatta, staithes lifeboat day, skinningrove bonfire / fireworks) its the travelling chavs from loftus that go for the fighting (they normally get on my bus on the regatta monday and its the most excrutiating journey all these pumped up chavs with bags of lager and cider causing mayhem on the bus, normally about 50 of em get on), ive been for a night out there but i wouldnt make a habit of it, and not without certain people i know "local faces", not been in the brit, been in the other two just before it the lion and the white horse

sometimes i get dropped off in loftus for mi bus home and always got mi wits and eyes about me

somebody that used to work with us lives there and her husband was killed outside one of the pubs in the marketplace

the dole office there used to be my dole office too when i lived in staithes and on the dole

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 17:31 ----------

Yeah, we're going to Saltburn (we tried to get a holiday let there). Looks great! Saw a programme about the water powered lift, so that's on the list! (even though it's aparrently a 'funny colour' :))

if your driving its not too far to drive from whitby, along the coast road to skelton then turn off (near my work lol) then from saltburn its only a quick drive through marske to redcar

we used to go up on the moors kite flying, windy up there lol

yeah staithes is good if you like quaint owd little fishing villages

http://www.chromavision.co.uk/yt/assets/photos/staithes_3.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/122100/staithes-from-cowbar.jpg

theres 3 pubs and a few cafes, art gallery thing, normally crafty type places open too

when you coming up? august 2 - 4th theres staithes lifeboat day on, come stand and get ****** on the seafront with the locals all day and have a fight in the evening with the local chav hordes from neighbouring loftus at the disco lol

if you like walking, you can do the cleveland way walk, not sure where it goes from whitby tbh, but the other way it goes through whitby, sandsend and on to runswick bay, port mulgrave, staithes

if you have a car drive into whitby, scarborough, bus fares on the scarborough end are atrocious

Wow! ... Staithes looks great! Wish I had a tilt/shift lens for my camera.

Not really that bothered about the fighting the Loftonians though, although I thank you for the offer :)

Wow! ... Staithes looks great! Wish I had a tilt/shift lens for my camera.

Not really that bothered about the fighting the Loftonians though, although I thank you for the offer :)

yeah its a really nice place and worth a visit, nice to walk about see the sights, on the cliff theres a seat that overlooks the beck bridge, harbour, cliffs etc

i lived there for 7 years when i first moved out of sheff, in a flat next to the captain cooks exhibition on the main high street

ive seen the northern lights pass backwards and forwards between the cliffs there so many times, and the lightenings immense to watch there

There's a vintage steam railway line that runs through Goathland (Heartbeat country) Pickering and ends in Whitby. You can get on and off at any of the little stations along the line. Lovely countryside, and sometimes they have themed weekends like the 1940's weekend when everyone dresses up and they have singing, jitterbugging etc.

(Think they also do a barbershop quartet weekend as well.)

Good day out.

There's a vintage steam railway line that runs through Goathland (Heartbeat country) Pickering and ends in Whitby. You can get on and off at any of the little stations along the line. Lovely countryside, and sometimes they have themed weekends like the 1940's weekend when everyone dresses up and they have singing, jitterbugging etc.

(Think they also do a barbershop quartet weekend as well.)

Good day out.

Excellent! Would love to go on a steam railway! (never been on one) ... I shall go and Google (where is it on this computer? ... top of the screen ... oh yeah ... ) :)

There's a man that frequents the pubs in Robin Hoods Bay who claims to have a vagina. I ran like no tomorrow upon hearing this from his very mouth, however, I was told he has a tattoo of a lady around his belly button. You probably can guess what the belly button is :suspect:

Archived