Tweeking my handling

Quick question for the car bods on here.

I want to make the handling of my car a little better. Just a bit firmer and less boat like.

Ive got 18" alloys on right now and they are a staggering difference from the 17s i had on prior and now i just want to firm up the ride a bit to help with handling. Will new shocks do this?

Thanks in advance :D

In my experience, wheel size matters little (too big a diameter can be worse than std, and more prone to tramlining). If you want to improve handling, you're better off stiffening and lowering (a bit) the car. Begin stiffening with chassis braces (between opposed corners, transversally to car length), progress to firmer shocks/springs. Lower last (compromises ride 'everyday' comfort & potentially handling on wet/slippery more than shocks/springs).

Quick question for the car bods on here.

I want to make the handling of my car a little better. Just a bit firmer and less boat like.

Ive got 18" alloys on right now and they are a staggering difference from the 17s i had on prior and now i just want to firm up the ride a bit to help with handling. Will new shocks do this?

Thanks in advance :D

Am I being daft here, or does changing the wheel diameter change the speedometer reading? :huh:

Am I being daft here, or does changing the wheel diameter change the speedometer reading? :huh:

Yes but going from 17s to 18s you might be 1mph out.

To the OP, have you had the tracking etc properly setup yet?

At high speeds maybe, though I'd say less that 1mph.

However it depends on the overall diameter of the wheel (rim+tyre). If the bigger rims have a tyre which the tyre wall is smaller than that of the smaller rim to the point that the overall diameter doesn't change then there should be no difference.

Eg 17" rim with a tyre wall of 1.5" is the same as a 18" rim with a tyre wall of 1" as their overall diameter is 20"

No mate. I had it done when the 17s were on but havent had it done again since the 18s have been on. Should i get it done again?

---------- Post added 17-07-2013 at 08:59 ----------

Im not sure, i heard it can but i havent noticed any difference since i put on the bigger wheels. Ill keep an eye out tho, i have a speed app for my phone, thats pretty accurate. I try with that.

---------- Post added 17-07-2013 at 09:00 ----------

Don't forget bigger anti-roll bars.

If the car wallows around like a pig in muck when it corners then stiffer anti-roll bars will help.

Would doing just the anti roll bars be enough to improve the handling?

Archived