Drowning in the summer!

Every summer we hear of people drowning in rivers & especially Quarry's.

Does anyone know why this is?

Is it because of the cold water or being pulled down by underwater currents etc. I really dont know.

Maybe it should be highlighted on this forum.

I just found this online.....

Drowning is the number one cause of death in abandoned mines. Most people involved in this type of accident went to a quarry for swimming. Quarries are extremely dangerous places to swim. Steep drop-offs, deep water, sharp rocks, flooded equipment, submerged wire and industrial waste can make swimming risky.

Another risk factor is the very cold water. Many quarry operations excavate to depths below the water table and use pumps to keep the mine dry while it is in operation. When mining stops the pumps are turned off and the quarry floods by the inflow of cold ground water. This ground water inflow can keep the quarry water very cold even in late summer.

Jumping or falling into cold water can be fatal - even for a young healthy person.

This is a very popular discussion on the open water swimming groups on FB. There's been a death almost every day, including these yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23338340

The problem is complex. Its possible there's a mix of drink, ignorance of the dangers, failure to warm up properly, and male bravado, but this is not reported or followed up.

When I used to live in Cheshire a young lad drowned in a reservoir. The police, local council and fire brigade followed it up with a tour of the schools with a "don't do it" campaign, which fell on deaf ears. The lad drowned because he was climbing two locked high gates and fences, walking along a narrow pipeline then bombing into the water.

The outcome is always the same - someone dies at a quarry or reservoir and there are campaigns to seal it up, drain it or make it illegal.

But someone died in the sea at the weekend. I don't see any calls to seal up or drain that.

Thankfully there was one sensible comment after the drowning in Coniston Water last week:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-swimmer-matthew-joseph-2041138

Lake District National Park Authority operations director David Coxon said: “This was a horrible, tragic accident.

"The top six inches of water can be warmed by the sun, but if you turn vertical cold water beneath can put the body in shock.

"It makes you gulp water.”

One or two people every year die in Coniston’s murky waters.

Mr Coxon advised swimmers to stay in their depth, make sure they are closely supervised and to wear buoyancy devices.

ETA: I've just found some drowning stats:

In 2011, 407 people drowned in the UK. 39 of these were swimming (9.5%), 14 were in the bath and 87 were running or walking when falling into a canal or river or lake.

two more people found in a quarry this morning, according to the news, some where in Norfolk - unrelated to each other as well. It really is shocking that people continue to ignore advice and go swimming in remote places with life guard cover or life guard equipment to use in an emergency

I was about to respond with my own theory, but Clown Shoes response mirrors what I was going to type.

I am a wild swimmer, I tend to swim in most places, but above all I know my limits and if in doubt, I keep out.

Is there a danger element that goes with this hobby of yours that drives you to do it?

two more people found in a quarry this morning, according to the news, some where in Norfolk - unrelated to each other as well. It really is shocking that people continue to ignore advice and go swimming in remote places with life guard cover or life guard equipment to use in an emergency

it's not shocking at all, it is fun and freedom. What you have said is rather like saying it is shocking that people walk in the countryside when occasionally people hurt themselves. Theres not being stupid and theres not having fun in case something happens-you have to balance them.

Archived