Drowning in the summer!

I wouldn't say danger, more the freedom element.

Go with that, I've always much preferred the sea to anywhere else though i'm under no illusion that nature and I are as one, that bitch could easily end my life if she wanted :hihi:

Go with that, I've always much preferred the sea to anywhere else though i'm under no illusion that nature and I are as one, that bitch could easily end my life if she wanted :hihi:

I agree, there is nothing like the sea when it comes to wild swimming. I tend not to swim here in the UK though as the sea temp is way too cold for my delicate soul. However, overseas where the water is warmer, try keeping me out :)

If any swimmer took a buoyancy aid they wouldn't drown. That is, any device that prevents your face from being submerged.

In most cases where cramp makes swimming impossible and the victim then sinks, they would simply suffer cramp and float.

I have used buoyancy jackets, rubber rings, pop bottles, even chunks of polystyrene tied to or stuffed inside my clothing and swum kilometres without incident. However, I knew that in the event of cramp I would turn onto my back and float.

Again though there is a difference between considering a lengthy swim and being a knee jerking hot headed kid egged on by his mates to jump in. The latter is something I never do as submerged objects in unknown waters are waiting to impale you.

Finally, and sad though it is, I'd rather see a life lost through living it and risk taking than the alternative; computer / ipod thumb twiddling screen struck kids who never leave the safety of the sofa and get their thrills on a 2 inch screen and their spills when the coke tumbles on the sofa.

How did we ever get in this state?

Didn't we used to just slap nerds and tell them to shut up. Now they rule the world.

I agree, there is nothing like the sea when it comes to wild swimming. I tend not to swim here in the UK though as the sea temp is way too cold for my delicate soul. However, overseas where the water is warmer, try keeping me out :)

It was a very pleasant 20 degrees on Saturday round my way. Tides are good this week for an afternoon swim straight from work! But there are plenty of other open water swimmers who find water cold and wear a wetsuit.

I find sea swimming a bit boring though, I much prefer a tree lined river.

There's always signs up saying how cold the water is and how dangerous it is to swim.

They get ignored and do it anyway.

People just think it'll be like off the telly or a movie tho and they can all happily swim around with their mates and have a laugh.

There's always signs up saying how cold the water is and how dangerous it is to swim.

They get ignored and do it anyway.

People just think it'll be like off the telly or a movie tho and they can all happily swim around with their mates and have a laugh.

Movies generally have something sinister or monstrous lurking in the water. My rule is, if there's a viloin quintet nearby playing scary music I keep well away.

I grew up on an Island, which had some pretty fierce currents and dangerous sections of coast.

As children, we learned from a very early age where the really dangerous bits were. There were occasional accidents (more often involving adults) But there were a few 'avoidable' (and one or two near-miss) incidents involving children.

My little brother (Aged 3, couldnt swim) toddled along a wall and fell into the sea. I (aged 5) went in after him and got him u[ on my shoulders. Somebody got him out.

Unfortunately my shoulder (an my head) were quite a way under water and I had sunk upto my knees in soft (but very gluey) sand.

Somebody did get me out - though I wasn't feeling too happy about that by the time they did.

It took me a very long time to forgive my 26 year old mother - who was far too busy gassing to her friend to look after her kids.

Water - even if you go in it every day - is dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Yes, I swim most days (during the winter, anyway) and I don't get too worked up about the other large fish I share the sea with.

I grew up on an Island, which had some pretty fierce currents and dangerous sections of coast.

As children, we learned from a very early age where the really dangerous bits were. There were occasional accidents (more often involving adults) But there were a few 'avoidable' (and one or two near-miss) incidents involving children.

My little brother (Aged 3, couldnt swim) toddled along a wall and fell into the sea. I (aged 5) went in after him and got him u[ on my shoulders. Somebody got him out.

Unfortunately my shoulder (an my head) were quite a way under water and I had sunk upto my knees in soft (but very gluey) sand.

Somebody did get me out - though I wasn't feeling too happy about that by the time they did.

It took me a very long time to forgive my 26 year old mother - who was far too busy gassing to her friend to look after her kids.

Water - even if you go in it every day - is dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Yes, I swim most days (during the winter, anyway) and I don't get too worked up about the other large fish I share the sea with.

No really :hihi:

I could've waited until the tide went out, I suppose ... :hihi:

I didn't speak to my Mum for months after that. I was the oldest of her kids and I was the one who always got he long lecture about 'being responsible for your brothers and sisters' but when it was her turn, she ignored it.

She didn't forget it either [and we were good friends for most of our lives.]

The point - which I probably didn't make too well - is that it doesn't matter whether you are a stranger to the danger, or whether it's a danger you deal with every day.

Any body of water more than about 2" deep is potentially dangerous and should be treated with at least some respect.

Archived