Your first experience of alcohol

Cider! of the most vilest kind - white lightening... 14 years old, got so drunk i threw up out of my nose and passed out and had to be taken to hospital to have my stoamch pumped - got grounded for a month! didnt touch another drop of alcohol until just before my 18th birthday which was a glass of port in portugal.... I cant even look at the cider adverts without wanting to be sick and i still get the smell of it in my nose :-)

I had a similar incident but with Pernod, god I was ill and for years could not stand it near me, I was ill for 2 days I was 16 and we were in Ingoldmells me & 4 other lads.

Nothing clever I know but I could drink in the old days, not very often I do now & if I do no more than 3 pints that's my maximum. I think it was Shogun who mentioned it, my favourite was Wards, if it stank awful you knew you got a great pint :hihi:

My 1st drink was a pint of shandy in the Golden Plover Christmas Day 1972, I was 14 and sat discreetly in the corner with me big brother and me dad.:hihi::hihi:

I don't remember it, but apparently I got my hands on a wine glass belonging to one of the adults at a Sunday lunch when I was 2, and then fell asleep propped up the bath taps during my bath later on.

I still don't handle my booze any better BTW. Half a glass of wine and I go very red and hot and then fall asleep.

I had a similar incident but with Pernod, god I was ill and for years could not stand it near me, I was ill for 2 days I was 16 and we were in Ingoldmells me & 4 other lads.

Nothing clever I know but I could drink in the old days, not very often I do now & if I do no more than 3 pints that's my maximum. I think it was Shogun who mentioned it, my favourite was Wards, if it stank awful you knew you got a great pint :hihi:

My 1st drink was a pint of shandy in the Golden Plover Christmas Day 1972, I was 14 and sat discreetly in the corner with me big brother and me dad.:hihi::hihi:

My first drink was on a school trip with my art teacher Mr Kennedy and it was in Eyam it was in the pub bang across from the church and it was a G and T fished as trumps we all were ...................x

My first drink was on a school trip with my art teacher Mr Kennedy and it was in Eyam it was in the pub bang across from the church and it was a G and T fished as trumps we all were ...................x

That made me chuckle and wonder, if it happened now, Mr Kennedy would be looking at conviction :loopy::loopy: I once tried gin in my mates house could not stand it, and almost 40 years later still cannot.

That made me chuckle and wonder, if it happened now, Mr Kennedy would be looking at conviction :loopy::loopy: I once tried gin in my mates house could not stand it, and almost 40 years later still cannot.

I did actually happen lolol ,I can even name some of the other students too I`m trying to think of the name of the pub grrrrrrr Oh and when we went on a trip to Liverpool seemed that every school trip we went on we had a drinkie poo lolololol hehehehehehe ...... x

No I don't doubt it happened what I mean is he'd be pounced on as being evil, but in our day it was normal.:)

He was a wonderful teacher and those Picassos looked like a Reynolds by the time we had finished lolol hey ho

---------- Post added 18-07-2013 at 18:17 ----------

No I don't doubt it happened what I mean is he'd be pounced on as being evil, but in our day it was normal.:)

It was the Bulls head gawwwwwwwd .....x

cant remember tbh, been a lot of alcohol passed these lips since then lol, my mum used to drink barley wine when i was growing up lol, so it shows id grow up liking a drink :P

i remember tasting wine as a kid that mi grandad used to make aswell as the usual like elderflower etc he also made saki as he was a jap prisoner of war during the war.

first real time i remember drinking was the time i nicked a bottle of sherry out of the cupboard when we went camping down the sekko (woodhus), i threw up i think Oo

in around 85/86, the time i left school or just after i got arrested for under aged drinking down woodhus mill, where all us punks, skins, rockers, and psychobillys trendys used to hang around.

that set me up for my proper drinking days from 88 on, moved out of home to city road with loads of punks, started hanging around the streets in town, specially the peace gardens and it was 24 hour drinking, and other stuff for years and years, till i moved up here in 92/93, i still drinking special brew up here in staithes quite a lot lol

having been born and raised in an Off License i was 'exposed' to alcohol quite early as all my family liked a drink or two - but I never had more than a sip of my nans White Shield Worthington -which I hated

However my first serious drink was when I was sixteen in '69 and me and a few mates went into the Washington on Fitzwilliam Street - dunno why that pub - but I sank several pints of bitter - unaware of the effect they would have

Woke up next morning sick as a dog with a headache to match - only problem was it was my first day on my first Saturday job (why did I go drinking the night before??? )

That in itself would not have been too bad - but my job was working on the cooked meat counter at Davys in the Haymarket, learning how to operate the bacon slicer and display all the cooked ham, beef, tongue (urghh) - how I got through the day I don't remember but I managed it cus they asked me back the next week!

incidentally, many years later and now a seasoned boozer I started to drink White Shield Worthington after my mate ordered one - it became my 'usual' whenever i saw it on the bottled shelf

Another strange thing - here I am rapidly approaching sixty and whether its age, my size (tad overweight :) ) or whatever - it would seem now I am immune to hangovers - I dont drink large amounts anymore like I used to in my youth most Friday and Saturday nights, but on the 'big' occasions (daughters 21st - weddings etc) I have sunk enough booze that earlier would have put me in bed for a week and communicating with God through the porcelain telephone - but now I wake next morning fresh as a daisy - bit thirsty that's all. Unwittingly made myself a bit of a hero with my youngest daughters mates who having stayed at ours following a big bash, all think i am some hardened alchi that can drink a brewery and up with the lark next morning - haven't the heart to tell them it must be some weird metabolism thing:-)

Archived