'Decades of austerity needed to cut debt'

But the supermarket giant, which has opened stores in Newtown, Llandrindod Wells and Welshpool in the last 18 months, claimed it was advertising vacancies abroad because of a lack of interest locally.
Let me guess: Tesco was offerring minimum wage on a zero-hour contract?

There's job offers and 'job offers'. A position under a zero-hour contract is not a 'job'. It's the modern, legalized equivalent of slavery.

And, as regards staying on 'benefits' rather than being exploited in such jobs, by the time you've finished adding working and family tax credits (as applicable), there ain't going to be much of a difference (if any!) relative to staying on JSA.

I suppose it's "fine" when the job holders can sort out economies of scale for living, e.g. live 10 or 20 to a house (or container) and don't plan on staying long-term, buy (or even rent) a place of their own, raise a family, etc. whereby EEs (or the like) are a perfect fit.

(and I'm saying all this, being as much of a baby-eating capitalist and angered taxpayer as they come: don't kid yourselves, such 'jobs' do not contribute much of anything to the national economy, they are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer - increasingly so).

[EDIT - not having a go @ you Anna, just commenting on probable reason why locals allegedly weren't bothered]

There's job offers and 'job offers'. A position under a zero-hour contract is not a 'job'. It's the modern, legalized equivalent of slavery.

And, as regards staying on 'benefits' rather than being exploited in such jobs, by the time you've finished adding working and family tax credits (as applicable), there ain't going to be much of a difference (if any!) relative to staying on JSA.

I suppose it's "fine" when the job holders can sort out economies of scale for living, e.g. live 10 or 20 to a house (or container) and don't plan on staying long-term, buy (or even rent) a place of their own, raise a family, etc. whereby EEs (or the like) are a perfect fit.

(and I'm saying all this, being as much of a baby-eating capitalist and angered taxpayer as they come: don't kid yourselves, such 'jobs' do not contribute much of anything to the national economy, they are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer - increasingly so).

[EDIT - not having a go @ you Anna, just commenting on probable reason why locals allegedly weren't bothered]

Very true. What you are describing is the fact that people often don't have an incentive to come off benefits. Financially they are making a logical decision. I don't quite get the moral angle of not wanting to work but that said those at the top of the tree aren't really leading by example either.

We have a broken economic model riddled with amoral incentives from top to bottom.

But that would rather make a mockery of a program claiming that the folk were applying for "ANY" job and couldn't get one. There is a major difference between no jobs and non that you are prepared to do, particularly if Poles, Rumanians and other Eastern Europeans are only too happy to do them.

I suppose it's like starving to death because you don't like the food on offer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/private-sector-employment-hits-new-record-high

Private sector employment has hit a new record high, according to official statistics published today. There are 1.3 million more people in private sector jobs than in early 2010.

The figures from the Office of National Statistics show that more people are in work than ever before and that private sector employment is up 46,000 on the quarter, which more than offsets the 22,000 fall in public sector employment over the same period.

The statistics also show:

employment has risen by 24,000 over the last 3 months, with the majority being fulltime jobs

unemployment is down by 5,000 over the quarter with the number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance falling for the seventh month in a row

the number of people claiming the main out of work benefits is now 300,000 lower than it was in May 2010

youth unemployment is also down 43,000, with the youth claimant count lower than in May 2010 and the number of young people claiming JSA has fallen every month over the last year

But that would rather make a mockery of a program claiming that the folk were applying for "ANY" job and couldn't get one.
And are you surprised that this would be case? Really?

That's all well and good, Anna.

But if all these employed people are on minimum wage/zero-hour contract, and paying no tax at all (in fact, still receiving benefits as WTC)...what good is it to the national economy?

employment has risen by 24,000 over the last 3 months, with the majority being fulltime jobs
That is an allegation. Where's the evidence?

the number of people claiming the main out of work benefits is now 300,000 lower than it was in May 2010
What of the number of people claiming WTC, though? Is it up 300,000? ;)

Oh wait, they've just changed the system (again) so stats are not yet available (no points awarded for guessing what they'll eventually say).

I was a first-hand witness to how the French Gvt was fudging the collection of employment figures/particulars/stats in 96-97, and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that the practice has changed at all, there or here or anywhere else wherein employment is a political hot potato.

Don't buy the rethoric :|

And are you surprised that this would be case? Really?

That's all well and good, Anna.

But if all these employed people are on minimum wage/zero-hour contract, and paying no tax at all (in fact, still receiving benefits as WTC)...what good is it to the national economy?

That is an allegation. Where's the evidence?

What of the number of people claiming WTC, though? Is it up 300,000? ;)

Oh wait, they've just changed the system (again) so stats are not yet available (no points awarded for guessing what they'll eventually say).

I was a first-hand witness to how the French Gvt was fudging the collection of employment figures/particulars/stats in 96-97, and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that the practice has changed at all, there or here or anywhere else wherein employment is a political hot potato.

Don't buy the rethoric :|

I have a better idea. You believe what you like. I'll believe what I like and you can save your advice for folk who think it is worth the listen.

I think we should have advertising campains in many other countries to get immigrant workers here.Erm no they did that!

They are good for the economy so if we quadruple the numbers we should be out of trouble in no time :)

Latest ONS figures show borrowing (and thus the deficit) is on the up, despite so-called "austerity" (austerity, yeah, right :hihi:).

Britain’s budget deficit widened in June amid a deterioration in the finances of local government, masking signs of an improving economy as tax receipts rose.

Net borrowing excluding temporary support for banks was 12.4 billion pounds ($18.9 billion) compared with 11.9 billion pounds a year earlier

LINK

How can we ever hope to tackle the national debt if we don't stop adding to it all the time (spending deficit)?

Our position is comperable to a heavily indebted man who keeps on spending and taking on more debt to finance it. Bankruptcy seems to be the only option (well, an entire nation can hardly throw itself off a bridge can it?).

When did living within your means become beyond the pale?

The rip off to the public is already starting

The government is reducing tax for shale frackers from 62% down to 30%.

I remain unconvinced by this fracking business. There was a report on the radio the other day which claimed that fracking has taken place in upstate New York & it has had an enormous detrimental effect on the environment.

Now, there are huge coal deposits in the south of this country, around Epsom for instance. Despite this you don't find many coal mines past or present in the area.

Are there any fracking sites planned for the south? Genuine question I honestly don't know. The only areas I have heard mentioned so far are the north west & Yorkshire.

I think we should have advertising campains in many other countries to get immigrant workers here.Erm no they did that!

They are good for the economy so if we quadruple the numbers we should be out of trouble in no time :)

Record levels of immigration have had "little or no impact" on the economic well-being of Britons, an influential House of Lords committee has said.

It says competition from immigrants has had a negative impact on the low paid and training for young UK workers, and has contributed to high house prices.

Archived