'Decades of austerity needed to cut debt'

Couldn't we just tax the corporations, banks and financial institutions properly?

It is nonsensical that it would harm the economy if the ones who didn't want to pay their fair share left. They're the ones exploiting our system, pumping wealth out, and making us pay to maintain the system they take their money from.

So if the ones that didn't pay their proper taxes were kicked out, there'd be less of a drain on our economy anyway.

Can't work out why people always think everything's the fault of the unemployed, the working poor, and immigrants. Come off it. We're all getting shafted.

So HSBC has its headquarters in the UK and makes a profit last year of £8.4 billion on which it pays UK corporation tax and employs thousands in its London office. Just how is that a drain on our economy and how would we be better off if The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation moved its head office to Hong Kong and declared those £8.4 billion profit there in order not to be a drain on Britain?

---------- Post added 19-07-2013 at 21:09 ----------

You seem to be obsessed and annoyed with people trying to influence public opinion....and yet here you are again.... Trying to influence public opinion.

But would you seriously take any advice from Mecky?:hihi::hihi:

Perhaps you could make a start by not sending money to other countries - money they use to fund their nuclear weapon programmes, fund their armies, arm rebel groups etc?

Maybe so, BUT THAT IS A CHOICE THAT GOVERNMENTS MAKE...yet they want us to believe there isn't such a choice.

Considering that the multinationals have got most governments by the short and curlies, that's easier said than done.

When governments and the movers and shakers get together at meetings like Bilderberg, they are all scratching each others backs. Why spoil a good deal when you can always screw the taxpayer and the little man in the street instead...? What they gonna do about it?

I think you are a little cynical, I don't think they meet together to screw the little man. I have a little more faith in human nature.

---------- Post added 19-07-2013 at 23:31 ----------

I watched a program about young unemployed people in Britain, they were applying for hundreds of jobs but not getting interviews, this dispels the myth that they don’t want to work, there are over a million young people desperate for work so encouraging more immigrants to come here to work is senseless.

But still they come, and 50,000 Rumanians and Bulgarians as well.

Couldn't we just tax the corporations, banks and financial institutions properly?

It is nonsensical that it would harm the economy if the ones who didn't want to pay their fair share left. They're the ones exploiting our system, pumping wealth out, and making us pay to maintain the system they take their money from.

So if the ones that didn't pay their proper taxes were kicked out, there'd be less of a drain on our economy anyway.

Can't work out why people always think everything's the fault of the unemployed, the working poor, and immigrants. Come off it. We're all getting shafted.

I'm not sure about the banking sector, I don't really know enough about it, but some, particularly the investment arms could up sticks and go quite easily, ditto the likes of google. However companies like Starbucks can't, unless they want to ditch their second biggest market. I can't enjoy a skinny frappacino over the Internet. They need premises and they sell a tangible product in person. They should pay corporation tax and loopholes should be closed. Lower the rate if you want, I'd rather have 10% of something than 20% of nothing. They can't bugger off, make them pay tax on profits.

Perhaps you could make a start by not sending money to other countries - money they use to fund their nuclear weapon programmes, fund their armies, arm rebel groups etc?

A lot of the money that goes to other countries as 'aid' is in fact more bribary than anything else. It 'oils the wheels of diplomacy' and is a bit like a money off discount at the supermarket - 'we'll let you have 30% off if you buy our weapons...'

Weapons are one of the UK's biggest exports.

A lot of the money that goes to other countries as 'aid' is in fact more bribary than anything else. It 'oils the wheels of diplomacy' and is a bit like a money off discount at the supermarket - 'we'll let you have 30% off if you buy our weapons...'

Weapons are one of the UK's biggest exports.

It's well proven fact that little if any overseas aid reaches the intended recipients.

But don't you have to pay back what you borrow plus a bit of interest on top. So if you can't afford something borrowing a bit to allow you to get it just means you have to do without something else to pay for it. Or do you have a credit card that doesn't require you to pay back what you borrow? In which case we would all like to know about that one.

Well the alternative is not have any schools, not have any hospitals, not have any pensions etc etc

Alternatively full employment would provide enough tax receipts to pay for whatever stupid spending policies the government of the day had, but they don't seem to want to go down that route.

So HSBC has its headquarters in the UK and makes a profit last year of £8.4 billion on which it pays UK corporation tax and employs thousands in its London office. Just how is that a drain on our economy and how would we be better off if The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation moved its head office to Hong Kong and declared those £8.4 billion profit there in order not to be a drain on Britain?

Let them move to Hong Kong. Seriously. I'm not best pleased that my kids and probably my grandkids will have to pay for the screw-ups of the financial sector.

The UK is a major economy. A lot of business gets done here. Business will always be done here - it doesn't require the presence of a massive (and corrupt) investment banking centre. There will always be banks here. There will always be bank HQs here.

Let them go. They will come back because it's profitable to do business in the UK. When they come back it should be on the peoples' terms, i.e. no more risking OUR cash and OUR futures to support corruption, gambling and fraud in the financial sector.

London has become the pimp headquarters for large corps and tycoons, who think that the worlds resources of minerals and humanity were created purely for their benefit alone. However, without their unbalanced tax contribution, Britain would be totally screwed.

Now we have a new piece of research in this area. Last year TJN’s Financial Secrecy Index revealed the astonishing scale of Britain’s tax haven empire. Britain – or more accurately the City of London – lies at the heart of a massive web of secrecy jurisdictions spread across the globe, ranging from Anguilla in the Caribbean to Vanuatu in the South Pacific. All were part of the formal British Empire and remain British Commonwealth members. Others, like Hong Kong and Ireland, were part of the Empire but are no longer associated with Britain. All share similar features of Common Law and banking practice which make them formidable providers of secrecy and tax evasion services. Taken individually they appear small and insignificant: taken as a whole they account for around one half of the world market for offshore financial services.

http://www.financialtransparency.org/2010/10/01/the-rise-and-rise-of-britains-tax-haven-empire/

Archived