Official - less crime says Dave.

It's nonsense. You can only take statistics from crime that's reported and the sad fact it that people don't bother any more because our "justice" system is a failure.

The last time I called the cops was because my father had received death threats from a problem neighbour. Sure enough the cops arrived but after explaining what happened they turned to us and said

"So what do you want us to do?", I said "Your job" to which the replied with "in what respect?"

It's not just reported crime that is down. Those figures are of course nonsense & reflect what the police want to report as a crime.

The British Crime Survey gives a much more accurate reflection of the number of crimes committed, independent of the police, that's also gone down almost every year since 1995.

It's not just reported crime that is down. Those figures are of course nonsense & reflect what the police want to report as a crime.

The British Crime Survey gives a much more accurate reflection of the number of crimes committed, independent of the police, that's also gone down almost every year since 1995.

They've just had a Prof of Clever Stuff & Criminology at Oxford on Newsnight - who was confirming crime is on the way down in all recorded figures across Europe

They've just had a Prof of Clever Stuff & Criminology at Oxford on Newsnight - who was confirming crime is on the way down in all recorded figures across Europe

Similar drops in the USA too. I heard it could be linked to bans on lead in paint, petrol, etc.

Great job Cameron.

He's been just as ineffectual as any other PM over the past few decades. No more, no less.

How ‘Labour is covering up truth on knife crime’

Tories accused of fiddling violent crime statistics to show increase under Labour

It's much easier (and cheaper) to manage statistics than to actually do anything about crime. Guess which option politicians choose?

---------- Post added 18-07-2013 at 23:47 ----------

who was confirming crime is on the way down in all recorded figures across Europe

:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, in the real world.....

[daily express link]

[daily mail link]

Meanwhile, in the real world.....

Crime has been falling across most of the developed world for over a decade, nearly two.

There are about half as many crimes committed in England & Wales as there were at the peak in 1995 http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/period-ending-march-2013/sty-crime-in-england-and-wales.html

Less crime now than 30 years ago & that's been the case for the last 10 years.

Crime has been falling across most of the developed world for over a decade, nearly two.

There are about half as many crimes committed in England & Wales as there were at the peak in 1995 http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/period-ending-march-2013/sty-crime-in-england-and-wales.html

Less crime now than 30 years ago & that's been the case for the last 10 years.

I agree there's less recorded crime now than before. I mean, why would you bother ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23334221

I agree there's less recorded crime now than before. I mean, why would you bother ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23334221

If you look at the link it's not about recorded crime, it's a crime survey where they (not police) ask people about their experience of crime. This crime survey is what has shown the steepest falls in crime, as the police didn't record many more crimes when crime peaked in this country.

A higher proportion of crime gets recorded now than it used to.

And 'not pursued' isn't the same as 'not recorded'. Stop just picking random links & try to stay on topic. They wouldn't know that 75% weren't pursued if they weren't recording them, that's 75% of the ones reported to police & recorded as crimes that weren't pursued.

Not having any particular reason to believe nor disbelieve the figures I have no idea but perhaps less coppers = less detection could be a reason.

....or it could just be the lull before the storm.:o

9% down on the year seems too remarkable to be true to me.

Archived