Heatwave: "No Topless" rules in shops, pubs, etc?

It is health n safety strikes again, but its not a new rule, but a "polite reminder".

Ive not read the link to the end, does it think high heels are safer?

It doesn't mention health and safety, just that they are a "definite no no" in a business environment.

Nothing wrong with a dress code for employees who have to deal face to face with the public, or health and safety rules for people working in factories etc but I can't see anything wrong with flip flops in a back office situation.

Whilst I agree with a lot of the comments how come then that its different abroad ?

Everywhere you go in Spain or turkey for example in shops ,bars even restaurants its full off sweaty Brits so why is it ok in say Spain but not here ?

Who says it's OK? I wonder what the local people think?

It doesn't mention health and safety, just that they are a "definite no no" in a business environment.

Nothing wrong with a dress code for employees who have to deal face to face with the public, or health and safety rules for people working in factories etc but I can't see anything wrong with flip flops in a back office situation.

I can. You are at work. Working in a professonal office.

Flip flops are casual wear. I wouldn't dream of turning up in my shorts and trainers. I have to wear a suit and smart shoes.

I will never understand some people. The amount of times I have had to take action against staff who think its perfectly fine to turn up at the office in some mini skirt and cropped top showing all thier bits off just because "its warm".

You are going to work not the beach. Dress like it. If its hot just put something LIGHTER on. Countries all over the world have heatwaves all year round. They still manage to go to work every day properly dressed and looking smart and professional.

i spent years as a TV aerial engineer and would often remove my shirt when I was working on the roofs but would never dream of walking into a customers house before putting it back on.

As others have said it's just a matter of etiquette.

But is it 'law'?

And why- hygiene, or manners?

No, of course it isn't the law.

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 12:29 ----------

[/b]

I can. You are at work. Working in a professonal office.

Flip flops are casual wear. I wouldn't dream of turning up in my shorts and trainers. I have to wear a suit and smart shoes.

I will never understand some people. The amount of times I have had to take action against staff who think its perfectly fine to turn up at the office in some mini skirt and cropped top showing all thier bits off just because "its warm".

You are going to work not the beach. Dress like it. If its hot just put something LIGHTER on. Countries all over the world have heatwaves all year round. They still manage to go to work every day properly dressed and looking smart and professional.

Most of the people in my office are working in shorts and t-shirts. Sandals are definitely in evidence, I've not seen any flip flops though.

I've never understood people, managers or companies that think that making people wear a shirt will somehow make them a better employee.

Most of the people in my office are working in shorts and t-shirts. Sandals are definitely in evidence, I've not seen any flip flops though.

I've never understood people, managers or companies that think that making people wear a shirt will somehow make them a better employee.

In this hot weather my friend that works on the railways has been told that he can take his tie off. Its all about fashion, why should the workplace stick to the fashion of long trousers?

Women are allowed cooler clothing, why not men?

No, of course it isn't the law.

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 12:29 ----------

Im sure it will be very subject to your trade. Some hippy marketing firm will probably get away with it but working in corporate legal my trade certainly would not.

We are still the profession with robes and wigs being worn in court. Merely turning up without a tie would be a scandal.

I do it to my staff because they are ALL representaives of the company. I dont care if they are client facing or not. I dont care whether they represent clients or simply sit there answering the switchboard. We are a professional organisation and they should look like it at all times.

As I said before, our colleagues in Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta and New Delhi all look professional and smart and their heatwave is far worse than ours.

People are right to say clothes dont make the man (or woman). However, here is another phrase to think of first impressions count.

I wouldn't expect to walk into a bank and see my bank manager walking round in t-shirt, shorts and deck shoes. Nor would I expect the staff of a funeral directors to be washing the funeral cars shirtless.

As others have said its about respect and etiquette. If you are walking around a park, beach, bbq party, beer garden (maybe) fine. But if you are shopping / going for a meal / going into town get dressed properly.

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 14:02 ----------

In this hot weather my friend that works on the railways has been told that he can take his tie off. Its all about fashion, why should the workplace stick to the fashion of long trousers?

Women are allowed cooler clothing, why not men?

You can wear something cooler. Its called LIGHT MATERIAL.

Its what people have been doing for centuries in the summer. By the way, who says that exposing more and more pasty flesh is the best way of keeping cool.

By the way, who says that exposing more and more pasty flesh is the best way of keeping cool.

If I was in Saudia Arabia I would gladly wear one of those long flowing gowns; but it might interfere with my driving.

Sloppy casual dress, sloppy casual attitude, sloppy casual work.

I saw the standards drop dramatically when I was working. Your standards of dress DOES affect the standard of work. I agree with previous posts that employees represent their companies and should be professional at all times. The boss has every right to impose standards of dress, he pays your wages, like it or not. The weather is no excuse for dropping standards.

Archived