Walt's Café at Blyth.

Texas

Anybody remember Walt's café at Blyth. Back in the day it was a place to get beans on toast after a day's biking. It used to get packed out in summer on weekends. I'm using the past tense because I supposing it's gone now.

My husband says that when his cycling club went east they always went to the cafe.

Hi smary, the place was pulled down I would think 30 years ago, a hotel now stands there.

I remember on a Sunday you could get spuds, veg & meat, custard on pudding for 2/6d, that would be in the early 60's.

I know I've been there. Seem to recall a green wooden building with gas lanterns hanging from the ceiling. It was near the bridge where the hotel/restaurant is now. I must have gone there on a child seat on the back of my parents tandem. This would be about 1946 when I was 2 or 3 years old.

peterr

was indeed a wooden building thats where it got its name ranchhouse from.we used towade in the river under the bridge on summers days was as clear as tap water,this was about 57 58

Thanks for confirming my memory rabitter. Wonder if anyone has photos. I seem to remember that Alan Pegler, who once owned the Flying Scotsman steam engine, used to live at a big house near the bridge.

Regards, Peter.

• 3 months later...

That's a blast from the past, Walt's Ranch House.

Used to stop the night before 100 mile and 12 hour time trials.

Evening meal was nicknamed "Donkey Pie". One man stopping the night said to Walt "This pie is funny Walt" Walt told him to go and laugh at it then!

Beds in the upstairs dormitory sagged so much they were like V blocks.

Even Beryl Burton slept there but in a separate shed away from the main building. Had to learn to drive when Walt sold up to take bike out to races.

Archived