Fracking in Sheffield?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

And they're now on your doorstep. :mad:

50+ SSSI's and 3 nature reserves facing potential contamination.

If you'd like to get organises to stop these monsters destroying our children's futures there's a new Facebook group that can help. Sheffield against fracking. Please show your support. :)

This is mature technology that has been used in the US for decades.

The fractured rocks are very deep underground and natural gas is the cleanest and cheapest source of energy available capable of providing reliable home heating and base load for electricity.

Not fracking (which I think is more likely given the green insanity permeating the politics and people of this land) is going to be very expensive.

I know I won't change anybody's mind on this. Energy is more a matter a faith these days than reason.

But when people (particularly the elderly) are freezing do death in winter in huge numbers and the lower earners are spending more on energy than rent, don't say nobody warned you because I bloody well did.

I don't see how intentionally and permanently contaminating millions of gallons of fresh water with known toxic chemicals and then pumping it at high pressure under ground to fracture the rock can ever be regarded as a sensible thing to do.

I don't see how intentionally and permanently contaminating millions of gallons of fresh water with known toxic chemicals and then pumping it at high pressure under ground to fracture the rock can ever be regarded as a sensible thing to do.

You don't do it in places where contaminated water could end up in the water supply. Besides, it's mostly water. The toxicity is pretty low compared to a lot of stuff already in circulation.

Perhaps you'd like to join the campaign to ban the most deadly chemical ever known to mankind: dihydrogen monoxide.

Edited by unbeliever

No- many, many yards/metres below it; and probably as little effect on the surface as most other subsurface activity.

The minimum anticipated depth for fracking in Britain is a few hundred metres.

All this fear-mongering is ridiculous and in the long term failing to frack will be very expensive for the UK people.

There are lots of things that are not sensible by that definition but we don them anyway.

We contaminate that much water collectively with "known toxic chemicals" when we do the dishes. Our water supply seems to cope just fine because the waste is cleaned. Same with the stuff we flush down the lavatory.

Most of the areas under investigation have been extensively mined for coal - but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Lots of areas close by to them have onshore oil wells - again these don't seem to have a problem...

What is a problem is incessant nimbyism, and whiney ill informed conspiracy theorists who see one staged video of burning water and assume that if we ever frack a well anywhere then all water will be undrinkable for miles about.

It's complete balls. But why let that stop you when you can tell a few lies and scare the populace...

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 17:18 ----------

Perhaps you'd like to join the campaign to ban the most deadly chemical ever known to mankind: dihydrogen monoxide.

Or the most commonly found known carcinogen......

Alcohol....

I can understand opposition to fracking in such a crowded place as the UK, but with the help of fracking in huge empty or near empty spaces of Canada, Mexico and the US it is helping make this continent the biggest producer of oil in the world. It is breaking the stranglehold of OPEC. Best of all it allows me to buy a tank of gasoline for a dollar less a gallon than it used to. Till there's a better alternative I welcome it.

It's been too successful in the US. They became the biggest oil producers in the world through fracking and ****** off Saudi Arabia.

The Saudis then increased production to make a world glut of oil and drive down prices. The Saudis can still produce and make a profit at current prices, but fracking is expensive so no one is doing it much now.

All those 'Bros of Fracking' who were earning vast amounts of money last year are all unemployed this year.

Here's the Bros when times were good -