Fracking in Sheffield?

Its pretty well known that Fracking is NOT economical in the first place. The only reason the companies are doing it is because its being subsidised.

Also, how do you expect it to be cheap gas for the UK, if its not UK companies who are extracting it? Its literally a lose, lose scenario!

The government should be looking at how to store surplus electricity so that renewables are more practical. Instead they cut the solar panel subsidy, because the last thing they want are people spending less on their electricity bills.

Its no coincidence that as we are pushed into energy saving, the prices just go up to compensate. All the while the energy companies report record profits.

So sure, keep your delusion that Fracking will in any way be good for the UK.

'It's pretty well known it's uneconomical in the first place...' Is it? I've certainly not seen any evidence of this

Sorry but we are facing an energy crisis in this country, renewables clearly are not the answer judging by the amount of energy they provide to the counties power mix. 40% of our energy still comes from coal. We need to start looking at alternatives now!

Its pretty well known that Fracking is NOT economical in the first place. The only reason the companies are doing it is because its being subsidised.

Also, how do you expect it to be cheap gas for the UK, if its not UK companies who are extracting it? Its literally a lose, lose scenario!

The government should be looking at how to store surplus electricity so that renewables are more practical. Instead they cut the solar panel subsidy, because the last thing they want are people spending less on their electricity bills.

Its no coincidence that as we are pushed into energy saving, the prices just go up to compensate. All the while the energy companies report record profits.

So sure, keep your delusion that Fracking will in any way be good for the UK.

Extraction of any raw material is a function of costs and value- nothing whatsoever to do with extraction technique.

There is no government subsidy available for extraction by fracking.

Electrical energy cannot be stored.

Profit is not the only concern a government should have over energy supplies.

Fracking has already reduced the cost of the energy involved in driving, cooking, lighting, heating, food, political dependence etc

Fracking is already good for the UK despite the fact that we don't do it.

Obtaining energy has always been a costly, dangerous and environmentally damaging. Those who object on principle to whatever they think fracking is, risk letting in bad practice as they have not focused on controlling and managing change.

I don't have issues with fracking per se, but I do have a major issue with how the government has gone about it in a seemingly underhand manner.

I am not blind or stupid enough to realise that the new currency will be gas/oil. We went to war over it so why are people surprised that we would be willing to risk earthquakes and water pollution over it.

Ultimately, do we have much choice? Even if we try to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels its not going to change overnight so we need to do something in the interim. We clearly cannot rely on Russia to supply us gas forever. Pick between:

- fighting more wars

- supporting Russia

- fracking

- huge detrimental change in lifestyle

I'm afraid I'd have to go with fracking, even if it does mean on my doorstep.

How much gas/oil do we import from Russia?

Then you won't mind publishing it........

tumbleweed.......

more tumbleweed.....

Feel free to post the the proof that millions of gallons of fracking fluid left underground is safe and can't seep into ground water. Where will they be getting all the fresh water from in order to frack, bare in mind the UK extracts 50% of its water form below ground and still suffers the occasional shortage.

Feel free to post the the proof that millions of gallons of fracking fluid left underground is safe and can't seep into ground water. Where will they be getting all the fresh water from in order to frack, bare in mind the UK extracts 50% of its water form below ground and still suffers the occasional shortage.

Yawn.......

Yawn.......

Answer the questions.

1. Where is the water going to come from given that the UK has poor water security

2. Where will the contaminated water that flows back to the surface and cannot be reused go?

You make it sound like it all gets recycled. It doesn't

http://www.waterworld.com/articles/wwi/print/volume-28/issue-5/regional-spotlight-us-caribbean/fracking-wastewater-management.html

Where in the UK are we going to dispose of the contaminated waste water?

The level of toxicity is a moot point if it is enough to ruin drinking water supplies.

You need to ask that in Sheffield, a city that's been dealing with water used in industry that's far more toxic than anything used in fracking, for centuries.

How is it even going to get into drinking water supplies?

Mods: Given this is now a very real local issue I thought a new thread was warranted. Hope that's ok?

So. Anyone starting to feel a little more worried now?

Health issues? Property prices?

How do the residents of Handsworth and Tinsley fee,l being on the list?

All views welcome of course. :)

No worries at all, but then I've taken the trouble to do my research away from newspapers and bulletin boards.