Fracking in Sheffield?

You were discussing danger to the general public from one source of energy. Obviously the danger of death is the most serious of dangers. The document I linked to also covers injuries, so it's not specifically about deaths.

All I've done is pointed out that even supposedly green sources of energy pose a danger to the public.

If you're not interested in this line of discussion, then feel free to stop replying.

If you think discussing fatalities in the context of a conversation on dangers is a straw man argument, then I suspect that you've not been taking your medication.

No, I was specifically talking about water security and waste water management. I never mentioned wind farms. I never mentioned fatalities.

See your response in #1102. A strawman.

Contaminated water can kill or cause disease in millions of people, to compare it to someone being hit by a lump of flying wind turbine is crazy.

It certainly can but we've established that it won't. Move on.

---------- Post added 23-08-2015 at 08:07 ----------

No, I was specifically talking about water security and waste water management.

Which we've established isn't a problem. Let's move on.

Over 2 billion people already live in areas where there is not enough clean water to go round and this could rise to half the world’s population in the next 20 years if current consumption patterns continue. Meanwhile, hundreds of species of fish, animals and birds are in decline as their freshwater habitat is degraded or destroyed. The UK is no exception with the ICE warning that UK water security is at crisis point.

Do you think folks living in the dales (or other areas) want all this disruption to line the pockets of those already set up for life ? When they wont see a penny advantage themselves ? :huh:

Have you seen how fuel prices in the US dropped when fracking got going?

No we haven't.

The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management says the opposite in relation to certain parts of the country: inadequate water security, risk to drinking water supplies and inadequate treatment capacity.

And that is a professional body whose members stand to gain from the expansion of the fracking industry.

---------- Post added 23-08-2015 at 12:17 ----------

Have you seen how fuel prices in the US dropped when fracking got going?

Different regulatory environment for operations and waste management, more reserves, abundant water in a lot of tge fracked areas, more easily accessible gas reserves and many fracked areas with much lower population density.

Much more challenging here. There is no evidence yet that we can do it as cheaply and no evidence energy bills will fall. Lord Browne, chairman of Cuadrilla, admitted this in 2013. Since then global energy prices have dropped rapidly.

As I keep saying there is a case for setting up a single complex here. We can use that experience to hone the technology, procedures and regulation for the UK's specific needs. Once the technology is proven to be viable, acceptable and workable here then we are set for the future if we need it.

There is no need at the moment to 'go all out for shale'

Edited by I1L2T3

I'll show my hand here. I'm a Green party politician in Sheffield who is against fracking. It's no secret as I always post under my own name.

So I have declared my interest in this issue. Is there anyone who has posted so far who stands to benefit personally in any way from fracking who would like to declare an interest ?

Can the Dearne Valley be choosy about the jobs it gets, surely they just want jobs?

What type of jobs does the Dearne Valley need?

Some jobs are exploitative and bad for the environment and local community- we don't want those.

The jobs needed are those that are good for the environment, good for the workers (in terms of health, self esteem etc) and good for the local community.

The map below shows the areas of the UK currently licensed and under consideration for licensing. Enter your postcode and see if your neighbourhood is at risk from fracking.

I will post the link in a couple more posts.