Fracking in Sheffield?

One day the government signs an international agreement to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

JohnE

Not quite in the National Park, is it?

What's been voted through is allowing drilling under National Parks and AONB from drilling rigs situated outside the area. It was always allowed to drill conventional wells outside these protected areas, so what difference will it make?

One day the government signs an international agreement to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

JohnE

Did you imagine that everyone in the country was about to scrap their car and buy a bike, and convert their heating and lighting to run off a wind turbine overnight?

What's been voted through is allowing drilling under National Parks and AONB from drilling rigs situated outside the area. It was always allowed to drill conventional wells outside these protected areas, so what difference will it make?

The drilling rigs will be outside the area but the hydraulic fracturing will happen inside and any negative effects will be felt inside. The Government are just banking on those effects being invisible on the surface.

within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

And I see the anti-fracking petitions are using pictures of the Lake District again, despite there being no shale gas in the park.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34570974

The drilling rigs will be outside the area but the hydraulic fracturing will happen inside and any negative effects will be felt inside. The Government are just banking on those effects being invisible on the surface.

What are the visible effects of fracking apart from the surface facilities?

Any examples of existing (or past) industrial drilling complexes in the vicinity of the Peak District? So people can decide the impact for themselves?

I think you'll struggle.

Any examples of existing (or past) industrial drilling complexes in the vicinity of the Peak District? So people can decide the impact for themselves?

I think you'll struggle.

The Peak District is undermined already isn't it with all the caves and caverns that were mined for semi precious stones and minerals? Not industrial drilling I agree, but underground excavation to get out of the ground what was needed.

The Peak District is undermined already isn't it with all the caves and caverns that were mined for semi precious stones and minerals? Not industrial drilling I agree, but underground excavation to get out of the ground what was needed.

Of course, there are industrial areas in the peaks. I'm talking about drilling complexes of dozens of wells with the associated pipelines and vehicle traffic.

We have not seen anything like it and when it gets going even its supporters will be shocked. I guarantee it.